The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Gray_Ghost, greenie-reddy, Lostbuthaulinass, HandyAndy, 1 invisible), 161 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,237
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1025598 05/01/2014 11:27 PM
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 201
E
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
E Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 201
When I started driving my '46 2-ton, the brakes worked great. It has had a brake job at some point in its recent history. The problem I'm having is that if the truck sits for a while, the pedal will go to the floor on the first pump. After that, it works fine. Plenty of resistance and I can lock the wheels on gravel at low speed. I have looked all over for leaks and found none. My mechanic couldn't see any leakage either. Once pumped up, it stops great and the pedal holds just like I would expect.
Now the question; what could cause this? The mechanic suggested adjusting the brakes, which I did, but it still happens on the first pump of the day. After that, it's fine. Could it be the master cylinder? The Hydrovac? Or is it just the system design?
Thanks for any information you can give.

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
Master cylinder is probably the culprit

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
Agree, the master cylinder. A very small leak caused by wear. The first pump clears the air bubble.


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0