The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (RLB, Shaffer's1950, Otto Skorzeny, Mr Crosswrench), 121 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,132
Posts1,056,391
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 258
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 258
I purchased an original stamped bed, the link has pics of it as received.

Ive done the metal work on the frame and cross members, its now all straight.

it has some hacked together crossmembers that arent original, but very heavy.

Im staring at it trying to figure out how best to mount it. please help

https://plus.google.com/photos/118219121658359708127/albums/6007181792383685601

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
Jay,

Nice original bed. That will clean up nice and look great with new wood.

What is missing are the long beams. A pair of 2x6 wooden beams standing on edge run from the front to back. They are attached to the cross members by stamped metal brackets. These brackets bolt to the 2 pairs of holes on each cross member and then are bolted onto the sides of the 2x6's.

U-bolts then drop over the wooden beams, down to the bottom of the truck frame and a steel plate and nuts hold everything in place.

Usually 2 U-bolts on each side for a short bed and 3 for a 12'bed.

I have a PDF of a document called "Unit Designed Chevrolet Truck Bodies". I don't remember where I found it, but about page 38 is perfect view of the bottom of your bed with the long beams and brackets in place.

I can email you a copy if you can't find it on line.

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,708
W
back yard wrench turner
back yard wrench turner
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,708
I built my bed, here is the wood on the frame. It's held down with threaded rod and flat plates. click


Wayne
1938 1-Ton Farm Truck
Stovebolt Gallery Forums
1989 Silverado
1996 Mustang GT convertible
When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!

Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 258
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 258
jim
i cant seem to find that pdf on the internet, so if you could email it or post it, that would be awesome.

ive got 3 original x members, im tempted to fabricate new ones for the super heavy i-beams that are the other x members.

having pics or pdfs would really help with that.

best regards

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
I emailed the file. Some really great info.

I'm doing a new body on a '48 2 ton.

Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 258
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 258
that is exactly what I was looking for!

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 210
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 210
Hi Wayne,

Do you still have to plans for bed? I want to build something similar on my 46 1.5

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,708
W
back yard wrench turner
back yard wrench turner
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,708
Originally Posted by Lend-Lease 1.5
Hi Wayne,

Do you still have to plans for bed? I want to build something similar on my 46 1.5

The only plans I have are in my head and the photos in my photobucket.

I did have the original beams that fit the frame. I used them as a template to make new ones.

underside

front behind cab

center

rear

rails


Wayne
1938 1-Ton Farm Truck
Stovebolt Gallery Forums
1989 Silverado
1996 Mustang GT convertible
When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0