Anyone have any idea if a Tahoe 4x4 frame 2005ish which has 116 wheelbase--would that frame work for a Suburban body swap? Do not want it up in the air just normal type ride height.
Better do a bunch of measuring. Compare frame width along its full length, amount of kick up at each end (Suburban is flat in front and kicked up way less than many new vehicles in the rear), and steering shaft location are just a few things that come to mind. You will have to fabricate everything from shift linkage to pedal locations and linkage (gas, brake, clutch). I have a sign over my desk that says, "We can put a 450 Cummins on a skate board if you have the Cummins, the skateboard, and the money", but in the vast majority of cases it is far better to add updates to the existing frame. My storage lot is full of unfinished dream projects. When one asks me advice on chassis building or swapping I ask them what they know about Ackerman Angle, Anti dive, roll center, etc. If this draws a blank my advice is to hit the library, or cumputer nowdays, and bone up on what will make either an enjoyable ride or a dangerous/abandoned project. Now with all that doom and gloom off the table I love to see an unusual project with a bunch of new innovations and a lot of thought put into it. When we were racing I always studied even the crappiest most shoddily built cars because invariably they would have maybe just one great item or idea that was worth remembering.
If you want a stock type ride height, the Tahoe isn't your best option. The track width is too wide, it's going to look silly. Even with the Trailblazer swap widened front fenders are not absolutely necessary but nearly so.
Well, its one of those I'd like to do it but I've built many a wreck but not hot rods. Doing a 51 AD trk 5.3 4l60e trans and that's a new experience but a current chassis and 4x4 is an interesting thought and would be a great vehicle to drive. Just need to gather as much advice/experience as I can.
I to like the stock ride height and look , What troubled me was the measurement from the center line of the front wheels to the front of the thermo fan ,oil,water,A/C cores , it was important as you are limited as the motor sits very high above the front diff and to achive the non monster truck look the cab has to sit low down over the motor and the hood/bonnet will have trouble shutting. if you have any questions, I may have solved them in my build. Hay Evin Coilover Ackerman Angle ? with a lengthing a chassis 8 inches longer will that drasticly change the Ackerman Angle ? and then need attention ?