| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
2 members (fonz8261, 1 invisible),
128
guests, and
0
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,119 Posts1,056,317 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Apr 2014 Posts: 9 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Apr 2014 Posts: 9 | First off is the truck, 1946 with a 216 4 speed. Now for the question. I was lucky enough to run across a 1956 235 complete with the 3 speed still attached as well as 12v starter and 12v generator. I am wondering will my 4 speed mate up to the 235 bellhousing using the 12v starter and flywheel or my going to run into trouble here? Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Will you truck be 6v or 12v?
Do you have a 6v starter and a 12v starter?
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2014 Posts: 9 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Apr 2014 Posts: 9 | It will be 12v I have the 12v starter and generator off the 1956 235 engine. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,061 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,061 | It appears you have the original 4 speed non synchro transmission. If you have a 56 engine, I believe it is an easy job to get a 4 speed SM 420 Trans to replace the old trans. There may be some bell housing, starter Flywheel issues to solve. If you upgrade to the SM 420, there will probably be some drive shaft issues, especially if you have an enclosed drive shaft.
There is one bell housing , I think a 1947, that allows this link up to happen easily.
I upgraded on my 1 Ton with an open drive shaft. I had to get the right starter, with the right bell housing with the right flywheel. I believe an SM 420 will bolt to the 56 bell housing and everthing will fit in the engine compartment. I had to put a slight benb in the Stick shift for clearance, and shorten the short drive shaft.
1946 1-ton Panel 1952 1-ton Comml. W/Grain Body | | | | | Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 1,747 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 1,747 | There was a change to the bell housing (clutch housing) at about this time. There also was a change to the 4 speed transmission. I don't know if the 4 speed from the 46 will fit the bell housing from the 235. If you want to stay with the original 6 volt starter then put the 6 volt flywheel on the 235. If the bell housing transmission bolt pattern is different then use the bell housing from the 216. It might be easier to keep the old bell housing for many reasons. The trans will fit. The clutch linkage will fit. There is an advise in the manual about moving the Master Cylinder..so that won't be an issue. If you want the 12 volt starter then put the 12 volt flywheel on and you are good to go. Looks to me that the bell housing and the 4 speed transmission changed 46 to 47. That is the reason for the concern about the bell housing. It won't matter to the starter They will fit. It wont matter to the flywheel, they will fit. It might matter to the clutch, throw out bearing, linkage and possibly the release arm. And it will matter if the bolt pattern for the transmission is different. If it were me I would use the bell housing from the 216, keep the 4 speed trans and keep the 6 volt starter and flywheel. The 6 volt starter will work with a 12 volt system so it is not a big deal. That would keep any other issues to a minimum. Just my 2 cents worth. I may be all wrong so keep in mind these are only suggestions.
Steve H
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 1,248 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 1,248 | I'm not sure that the clutch housing from your 216 would not bolt right to the 235 engine. Probably be easier if it will since your pedals are mounted to the original clutch housing??
John | | | | | Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 2,074 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 2,074 | If you want to remain mostly stock, you will want to keep the original bellhousing (has the mounts for brake/clutch pedals) also flywheel and 6 volt starter even if 12 volt now. If you change to later starter you'll need to also go with later flywheel. I've had my 46 for over 30 years using a later six but kept ALL the 46 bellhousing/flywheel/starter etc.
Later trans will work with your old bellhousing but need an adaptor. Best of luck | | | | | Joined: Apr 2014 Posts: 9 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Apr 2014 Posts: 9 | I appreciate all the advice and thoughts, I think my plan will be keep the original bellhousing, 6v starter, flywheel etc.From the way it sounds this will be the easiest route to take.
Thanks again to everybody | | |
| |
| |