Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,130 Posts1,056,720 Members48,454 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2012 Posts: 60 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2012 Posts: 60 | Hi all, I'm rebuilding a 1960 235. It's been in pieces in my garage for about 2 years and it's been fun trying to figure out how it came apart. It's almost done and ready to put it in my truck. The original motor had a brass extension on the temp sending unit. The head will accept the sending unit directly, or I can use just the adaptor. Do I need the adaptor? I would think the sending unit would work better without it. The engine is new, and I'll be working on the interior next. I've been reading a lot on this forum about mechanical systems. I think that is for earlier models, I'm going with the electric unit. So don't need original if modified works better. Here's a pic of the adaptor: http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq320/Rickrestivo/Tempgagueadaptor.jpgThanks, Rick -
Last edited by VCRick; 04/22/2014 2:09 AM.
Proud of my taskforce! 1959 3600 long-bed. the ultimate work truck!
Rick Restivo Valley Center, CA.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,636 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,636 | If the head will accept the sending unit as it is and seal, then that would be best. What year truck and what was the original engine?
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 2,074 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 2,074 | Pretty common problem with later motor in old Chevy but the adaptors I've seen were just a short bushing not like your photo. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 | If your 60 235 head has a 1/2 pipe thread for the sender Then you might need this adapter from 1/2 pipe to 5/8 straight ...pic... That's the NAPA part number. I'm not sure but your pic looks like and adapter for 5/8 NF to 1/8 pipe for your electric sender? Do you know what size the thread is in 235 head? | | | | | Joined: May 2012 Posts: 60 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2012 Posts: 60 | 1959 3600, the engine block and head are '60. The orig sending unit, the new one I just got today and the adaptor are all the same size and they all fit directly into the head so does a piece of 1/2" galv pipe. So, I'm assuming that is the size o f the hole in my head. I'll try putting the new sending unit directly into the head and see if it leaks.
Proud of my taskforce! 1959 3600 long-bed. the ultimate work truck!
Rick Restivo Valley Center, CA.
| | | | | Joined: May 2012 Posts: 60 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2012 Posts: 60 | What's interesting is that I just received the sender I ordered. It seems to be a 1/2" pipe thread. Which is what I have in my head. I'll plug it all together and see what happens.
Thanks,
Proud of my taskforce! 1959 3600 long-bed. the ultimate work truck!
Rick Restivo Valley Center, CA.
| | | | | Joined: May 2012 Posts: 60 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2012 Posts: 60 | Great comments all Thanks. From what I gather from your responses, if it fits together without the adaptor I can put the sender directly in the head and it should be fine. My plan is to put the engine in the truck over Memorial day weekend. All that's left is cleaning and painting the manifolds and installing the "little stuff" Hopefully I'll be all smiles the Tuesday after. If not I'm sure you will be hearing from me. Thanks again..
Proud of my taskforce! 1959 3600 long-bed. the ultimate work truck!
Rick Restivo Valley Center, CA.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,636 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,636 | Yours is a 1959? Then it should have an electric sender with 1/2 pipe threads. Should screw directly into the head with no problems. Use very little sealer. | | | | | Joined: May 2012 Posts: 60 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2012 Posts: 60 |
Proud of my taskforce! 1959 3600 long-bed. the ultimate work truck!
Rick Restivo Valley Center, CA.
| | |
| |