The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 182 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,228
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 872
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 872
I have some 1.5 and 2.5 ton truck axles that need some bearings. The originals are not made, so I am stuck with cross referencing.

Can anyone help walk me through this so I get the proper cones/races?

For my 1.5 ton truck banjo (Corporation) axle:

Rear wheel outer bearing
GM-144527 Bearing roller, spherical, 2.6252 4.4688 O.D. 0.975 width

also has part number HYD-KD12051Z

Is that enough to find a modern bearing?

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
Look it up @ Rockauto they're in all GM's just about.
CHEVROLET C30 PICKUP (1982 - 1986)
CHEVROLET C3500 PICKUP (1988 - 2002)
CHEVROLET K30 PICKUP (1982 - 1986)
CHEVROLET K3500 PICKUP (1988 - 1991)
CHEVROLET P30 (1985 - 1999)
CHEVROLET R30 PICKUP (1987 - 1988)
CHEVROLET R3500 PICKUP (1989 - 1991)
CHEVROLET V30 PICKUP (1987 - 1988)
CHEVROLET V3500 PICKUP (1989 - 1991)
GMC C3500 PICKUP (1982 - 2002)
GMC K3500 (1982 - 1991)
GMC P3500 (1985 - 1999)
GMC R3500 PICKUP (1987 - 1991)
GMC V3500 PICKUP (1987 - 1991)
Please refer to catalog for application details.





Give me ambiguity
or give me something else
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 444
'
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
' Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 444
They may have stopped making them
but
some do survive.

Rear wheel outer bearing
GM part # 144527 Roller Bearing

Superseded to: GM part # 9412426
&
is available at:

Dotson Chevrolet
Big Stone Gap, VA
phone #: 276-523-0130
They have ( 1 ) - GM # 9412426

Marty's GMC
Kingston, MA
phone #: 781-585-7570
They have ( 2 ) - GM # 9412426

Friesen Chevrolet
Sutton, NEB
phone #: 402-773-5538
They have ( 1 ) - GM # 9412426

on ebay: just type in the search box: 9412426

There are ( 3 ) # 9412426 bearings on ebay now

Here's one for: $64.98

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/...g%209412426/9412426_NOS__zps85708278.jpg


Hope this helps.

George
in
New Jersey

Last edited by '54 3600; 04/17/2014 9:18 AM. Reason: addition

1954 3600
A big help to many on the Bolt
Now cruising in
The Passing Lane
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
page 135/136

://www.timken.com/en-US/products/Documents/Automotive_Aftermarket_Bearing_Seal_Application_Catalog_1989_older.pdf

page 6/7 and 31/32

http://www.timken.com/en-US/products/Documents/Medium-Duty-Apps-Buyers-Guide-2010.pdf

Last edited by Whitedog; 04/16/2014 9:00 PM.

1954 3600 Chevy Truck
"The Fake Truck"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 872
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 872
Does it matter that none of the applications in the Timken catalog (I did download the 2013 full catalog) are not listed as the proper application?

None of my manuals have any later PNs than the GM-144527, so how 'confident' should I be that the new 9412426 will fit?

It looks like the 9412426 will fit a Tahoe sized truck. My truck GVW is about 2 tons more that that (11,000lbs Gross) and can tow another 3,000lbs

Last edited by pfarber; 04/18/2014 2:24 PM.
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 872
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 872
GM-9412426 Indirect Cross Interchange

So that does not look like a good fit

Looking at the Rockauto page the width is wrong:
Width (in) 0.8661

My original bearing spec is 0.975 width

This is my problem... I cannot find a spec for spec bearing.

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
Rear wheel outer bearing
GM-144527 Bearing roller, spherical, 2.6252 4.4688 O.D. 0.975 width

also has part number HYD-KD12051Z

Is a valid # and available from
Portland, OR - McGuire Bearing Company
www.mcguirebearing.com › Contact Us › Branches‎
(800) 547-6045 Toll Free (503) 238-1570 Local


Give me ambiguity
or give me something else
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 872
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 872
How did you find this? I looked through the PDFs that seemed appropriate and no HYD part numbers were listed. Also a site search found nothing.

KD12051Z as a part number is all over the place and do not match all 3 numbers I have from the parts manual:

National® - Taper Bearing Set Part Number: KD12051Z Cup Length=0.7411

Timken KD12051Z wrong width Cone / Cup Width (In): 1.431

This is my problem... evidently the part number got 'reused' and no longer matches the original specs. That's why I am trying to match a bearing by the actual dimensions... the PNs seem useless.

Last edited by pfarber; 04/18/2014 4:46 PM.
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
Originally Posted by pfarber
How did you find this? I looked through the PDFs that seemed appropriate and no HYD part numbers were listed. Also a site search found nothing.

KD12051Z as a part number is all over the place and do not match all 3 numbers I have from the parts manual:

National® - Taper Bearing Set Part Number: KD12051Z Cup Length=0.7411

Timken KD12051Z wrong width Cone / Cup Width (In): 1.431

This is my problem... evidently the part number got 'reused' and no longer matches the original specs. That's why I am trying to match a bearing by the actual dimensions... the PNs seem useless.

I talked with a real parts person there and he confirmed your spec's to the 3rd decimal point from the first post... what can I tell ya?


Give me ambiguity
or give me something else
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 444
'
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
' Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 444
I went to GM Parts WIKI

Typed in GM # 144527

The part number YOU posted.

Went to parts History Catalog

Parts History catalog says,

below:
@photobucket

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/...209412426/Parts_History__zps361c086a.jpg

I'd double check the part #
or
go by the stamped # on the bearing

Are you sure # 144527 is the outer axle Bearing ?

GP

Last edited by '54 3600; 04/18/2014 5:49 PM. Reason: addition

1954 3600
A big help to many on the Bolt
Now cruising in
The Passing Lane
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 444
'
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
' Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 444
This GM truck catalog
calls GM # 144527
a INNER WHEEL BEARING

You say, it's an outer.

I'm stumped !

Pic@photobucket

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/...ng%209412426/AxleBearing_zps36518b5e.jpg


GP


1954 3600
A big help to many on the Bolt
Now cruising in
The Passing Lane
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
Originally Posted by '54 3600
go by the stamped # on the bearing

from OP
Rear wheel outer bearing
GM-144527 Bearing roller, spherical, 2.6252 4.4688 O.D. 0.975 width

also has part number HYD-KD12051Z
Inner or Outer aside... It sounded like this is the PN# off the bearing.


Give me ambiguity
or give me something else
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 444
'
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
' Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 444
I sent an email to:
Marty's GMC Dealership in Mass.

email to them:

My old Bearing is stamped: HYD - KD12051Z

My old bearing GM # 144527
was superseded to: GM # 9412426

Is the new # the same as the old bearing ?

Thank You,
George


Answer from GMC Dealer:

Correct: 9412426 replaced 144527


GP


1954 3600
A big help to many on the Bolt
Now cruising in
The Passing Lane
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 872
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 872
When I look at the vehicles that the new part number applies to the 9412426 is used on vehicles that were rated for 50-60% of the GVW from what what my truck is.

My truck grosses at 11,000. A most of the trucks that this 'new' part number crosses to are in the 6-7000 GVW range.

EMPTY my truck is more than these trucks GROSS.

That's one thing that is confusing me... is it a valid concern? I would be running these bearings at 2x the current design use. Yes, I will load it up to 10k+ (it has a dump body and I plan on using it).

Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 872
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 872
Now this is confusing. I got an x-ref for Jim Carter part number MEB 944 for a 1.5 ton rear axle bearing.

This is like 1/2 the cost of what I am seeing for other bearings.

I'm not super confident for the source of the x-ref, they have been massively wrong before.

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
I'd sell the truck and buy something easier for which to find parts.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 872
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 872
I may be making it harder than it needs to be. I have done that on occasion.


Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 872
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 872
"Answer from GMC Dealer:

Correct: 9412426 replaced 144527"

Yeah but GM doesn't make bearings and there are at least a six interchange part numbers for 9412426. Declo, SKF, National, Timken all list 9412426 in their interchange manual and none of them match the specs in the parts book for the axle I have.

Trying to figure it out. Anyone??




Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,636
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,636
I didn't read this but maybe you did this and I just didn't see. But take a micrometer and measure the shaft and the bore and try to find them by a size chart. Some of the larger cities have bearing houses that might pay you to look at or go to.

Timken does have a size chart so you can use the size of ther bearing to find the one that matches. But you may already have that.

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
Originally Posted by pfarber
I may be making it harder than it needs to be. I have done that on occasion.
P-man, with Chevrolet's habit of using the same parts through several generations of vehicles, I wouldn't be surprised if the ones called for in the newer, lower GVW trucks were the same as what you are looking for. If they fit, I would run them. You will probably break a leaf spring end before you crush a bearing.
Carl


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0