The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Gray_Ghost, Bill Hanlon, Nick in Manitou), 122 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,269
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 72
5
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
5 Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 72
How does the left rear door suppose to stay shut? The handle has a spring in it, but I don't see how that would hold it shut. The top and bottom hooks engage, but will bounce loose. Spring seems intact, is something else suppose to be in there? Is anything suppose to move in the handle? I have unscrewed the handle and pulled both top and bottom bars out. I can't even see what the spring is doing.

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Not sure if your 46 is like my 52 but it seems like the left door would need a catch at the top and bottom??

Check out the online manuals listed in the Links or tech tip section here and see if it list anything on your model..... and I'm sure someone else, who knows, will be by shortly. Good luck.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 72
5
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
5 Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 72
Yes there is a catch at top and bottom, but what holds it in place?

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
On my 52 there is two screws/bolts that hold each piece to the top of the body and at the bottom. Like this.....

Bottom "catch" on my 52 panel
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r19/LutherParris/52Panel/Reardoorcatches002.jpg

Top catch
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r19/LutherParris/52Panel/Reardoorcatches001.jpg

As I said earlier. This is a 52 panel so not sure if I'm helping you are not.

These may help??????

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r19/LutherParris/52Panel/Reardoorlatch.jpg

THIS assembly is what goes in my LEFT driver side door.
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r19/LutherParris/52Panel/PanelBodypics008-1.jpg


Hope these help in some way.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 72
5
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
5 Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 72
I guess I am having a little problem indicating my issue. I do have hooks top and bottom that the rod hooks grab. That works. But there is a spring in the handle between the top and bottom rods. I don't see where that is accomplishing anything. Is this suppose to hold the rods in the closed position? Because mine do not. Vibration will just let my rod hooks unleash. I am guessing I need help from someone with a 46 or similar.

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Not sure if yours is listed but did you check the online manuals. Maybe someone with your model will chime in.....


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 244
6
'Bolter
'Bolter
6 Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 244
On the '46 there is a torsion type spring located inside the pot metal handle that keeps pressure on the hooks at the end of the rods. Part # 466851 (2 1/4") I believe.


Moderated by  MNSmith, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0