Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,107 Posts1,056,221 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2013 Posts: 6 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2013 Posts: 6 | New to the forum. Just picked up an 1949 4100 1 and 1/2 ton short bed grain truck and need to work on brakes right away. The truck has duel wheels. Can anybody help with a source for brake shoes, wheel and master cyclinders? | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 1,276 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 1,276 | Welcome aboard. Napa is a good place to start, find a counter guy that goes for the paper books. I have had the best luck with commercial brake supply outlets. Find one in your area they will be able to reline your shoes. It is best to pull the drum and hub then remove the backing plate as an assembly. Take that assembly and drum to your bake parts supplier so everything can be identified. | | | | | Joined: May 2013 Posts: 6 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2013 Posts: 6 | Thanks for the advice. I tried NAPA over the phone but my guess was the guy just checked the computer inventory. I will try again and make sure they check the book next time. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2011 Posts: 90 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2011 Posts: 90 | If the whole backing plate comes off couldn't you replace that with a disc setup from a different truck or am I just wishing it worked that way. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2011 Posts: 8 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Apr 2011 Posts: 8 | Also Aleretta truck parts they are great and helped me with all my brake questions. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 | That's Alretta Truck Parts in Framingham, Ma. (508)788-9409. Ask for Geoff. | | | | | Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,723 24601 | | 24601 Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,723 | BigB Send me a PM -- I might have a set of wheel cylinders (NIB) to fit your truck. I got them for my '49 ton and a half and then switched to a different axle. If yours has it's original single speed axle, we might be in business.
John
~ John A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult. 1949 Chevrolet 3804In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum1973 IH 1310 Dump1963 Kaiser M38A12001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley) | | | | | Joined: May 2013 Posts: 6 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2013 Posts: 6 | | | | | | Joined: Mar 2000 Posts: 1,178 Red dot, center of chest ... | | Red dot, center of chest ... Joined: Mar 2000 Posts: 1,178 | You can't until you're out of moderation. Once you've posted four times, you'll be able to PM. | | | | | Joined: May 2013 Posts: 6 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2013 Posts: 6 | I think I really got lucky. The husband of a gal I work with is a retired truck mechanic and they just moved close to my farm. The guy is in to old grain trucks as well. Looks like I may have a good resource to help with my '49 4100 1.5ton restoration. | | | | | Joined: May 2013 Posts: 6 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2013 Posts: 6 | I will PM you as soon as I am out of moderation. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,107 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,107 | you can get your wheel cylinders and master cylinder re sleeved here http://brakeplace.com/ fair price and quick turn arounds. ive used them a couple of times, if you call ask for rob. any big truck shop that does cluth and brake relining in your area can perform these services. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 | I'd definitely check with Geoff, at Alretta Truck Parts. Several of us here have used him for our Vintage Bolt brake needs , & he's had everything readily available. Even knows the part numbers by heart. They specialize in truck brake parts. | | | | | Joined: May 2013 Posts: 6 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2013 Posts: 6 | Thanks for the tip on Alretta Truck Parts in Framingham, Ma. (508)788-9409. My Mechanic was able to find front wheel cylinders for my 49 1.5 ton Chevey 4100, but could not find rear wheel cylinders. He suggested re-sleving both existing ones for $400.00. I contacted Alretta and spoke with Geoff. He new exactly what I needed (I hope) and got them in the mail that day for $81.00 each. I guess we will see if they are the correct ones soon. | | |
| |