The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (klhansen, KEVINSKI), 63 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,706
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#10184 04/02/2004 12:11 AM
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 4
F
Junior Member
Junior Member
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 4
Help! I am rebuilding a '61 Chevy 235 six cylinder. The gasket set I bought has two types of rear main seals. One is the wick type and the other is an orange neoprene/plastic type. Does anyone know which one is the right one for my engine? The obvious question is--What was in there before? and the answer is that the guy who took it apart at the machine shop can't remember.
Second question, if the wick type seal is the right one, does it lay flush all around the bearing cap and the upper groove? If I put that one in, part of the seal is above the surface, and the bearing cap won't go down flat on the block. However, the neoprene seal fits flush all around. Can anybody help? Thanks!
Fantm2flyer

#10185 04/02/2004 12:17 AM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,445
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,445
Do a search for "rear main bearing seal" and you will come up with all the answers your heart (beat) desires.

Speaking of rear main bearing seal replacement, I just did my 350... thanks to Oly...

I also put in a one piece pan gasket... highly recommended, even at 5x the cost of a cheap 4 piece set.


Another quality post.
Real Trucks Rattle
HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
#10186 04/02/2004 12:35 AM
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 4
F
Junior Member
Junior Member
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 4
Thanks, Rusty Rod! You were right, there are a lot of rear main bearing posts. And I got the answer I was hoping for--use the neoprene seal.
Thanks again from a first time forum user!

#10187 04/02/2004 4:20 AM
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 327
O
Oly Offline
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 327
NO!!! The answer is a big NO!!! Not the neoprene- USE the wick-type seal. It will do a much better job for you.


Oly in Oregon

Rest in Peace

1945 GMC COE Victory Truck
1953 Willys CJ3B
1955 Chevy 1st series 3/4-ton
1958 WIFE Last series

Never say "Whoa" in a mud hole
#10188 04/02/2004 5:12 AM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
I agree with Oly BIG NO but if you use the neopreme on Make sure you remeber where you put the wick type because you will be changing it in the future.

As for the wick type the instalation is easy. Lay one half of the seal into the grove. Use a socket or something similar to roll over the seal. This will help to seat the seal. Once that is done trim the excess with a razor blade. Repeat for the bearing cap. Install bearings, crank etc etc....

Good Luck


Brian Moore
1949 3100 5 window Deluxe
"Today is better than yesterday, but not as good as tomorrow"
#10189 04/02/2004 5:26 AM
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 327
O
Oly Offline
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 327
But, when you trim that wick seal remember to leave around 1/64 inch sticking out. The excess will squish fine when you torque down the cap.


Oly in Oregon

Rest in Peace

1945 GMC COE Victory Truck
1953 Willys CJ3B
1955 Chevy 1st series 3/4-ton
1958 WIFE Last series

Never say "Whoa" in a mud hole
#10190 04/03/2004 5:01 AM
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 90
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 90
I would agree with Oly on this. Rope is the way to go.

What I noticed is the neoprene seal rides on a very thin edge on the crank. The cranks on these old 235's are not perfect. Mine had just a bit of pitting on the seal area. If I had used the neoprene it was sure to leak. The rope has a wider sealing surface and can accomodate imperfections better. The other thing I had noticed is that the neoprene did not sit in the slot in the cap or the block as well. I think they might even leak around the outside of the seal even if your crank was perfect.

Just my thought.

Brent

#10191 04/03/2004 3:26 PM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 324
2
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
2 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 324
I would agree with Oly and the outhers. Use only the wick seal.
On a recent rebuild I made that mistake thinking that the new seal would be "new and inproved" 2 weeks later I'm under the truck replacing the rear main seal. Beleive me it is much easier while the engine is out of the vehicle.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0