The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (TUTS 59, Shof, Ponchogl, Jon G), 172 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,094
Posts1,056,157
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1011823 03/05/2014 5:37 PM
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 27
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 27
Bad news...was driving around the other night after my first car show and started hearing a rythmic growling noise coming from the rear of the truck. I pulled over in the first parking lot I came to and got out. I pulled off the center cap on the left rear tire and 2 of the lugnuts came off with it. The 4 remaining were about to come off too. Save your, "well who was the dumba$$ who left 'em loose?!" questions/comments. I tightened everything w/ an impact, AND a torque bar, but I digress.

Now, I have a ruined wheel (no biggie because I have a spare and I'm getting all new anyway) and 6 ruined lug bolts (posts).

How do I replace these lug bolts? I have looked in the shop manual and can't find anything. I've never had to do this before and could use some direction.

If I am pulling the hub to replace the lug bolts anyway, what other things do I need to inspect, repair, replace or give attention to while I'm in there?

If I'm doing one side, should I do the other side at the same time?

Chime in with your direction and advice.
Thanks,
KINGLONESTAR


Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit
If you think quitting nicotine is hard, try quitting CANCER! Quit 10/18/2012

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,798
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,798
Two possibilities- - - -pull the rear axle and use a hydraulic press to install new lug studs, or if there's room between the axle flange and the backing plate, use a big C clamp and a deep socket, and press the new studs in without removing the axle from the housing.

DO NOT TRY TO PULL NEW STUDS IN WITH A NUT! You'll strip, or at least stretch the threads and end up in the same situation. How much torque did you use on the original studs? Most stovebolt lug studs are 7/16" diameter, and only need around 65 ft.-lbs. of torque. Most people seriously overtighten lug nuts and destroy the strength of the studs. The nuts loosen up after a few miles of driving because the stud continues to stretch.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
The lug bolts are pressed into the axle flange. And yes you can get them at your local FLAPS. And, yes you can press them in or have a shop press them in for you. If you pull the axle then you have a good time to look at Drums, Brake shoes, Seals, Bearings, and Ring, pinion, and spider gears. Most common reason those lugs fail? Improper torque. Too little and too much. You might not be the person that over-torqued them but you will be the one to fix them. smile I would pull both axles just to save doing it again later. I think they are 7/16 NF but match them up any way. Get some new lug nuts at the same time.


Steve H
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,248
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,248
I had always heard 85-90 ft/lbs for steel rims?? John

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
Here's my adventure

https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=981466&page=2

3rd to the last post gives the dorman number for the correct stud

I use 75/80 fit lbs on the 7/16 from info on this forum


Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
This seems to be a good reference.
http://www.portlandbolt.com/technicalinformation/bolt-torque-chart.html
Now, all I have to do is figure out if the lug bolts are grade 5 or grade 8 or ...something else...according to this it would be 70 foot LBS if I got the grade right.

Last edited by Steve_H; 03/06/2014 7:15 AM.

Steve H
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
Your live in a big town and a large percentage of those getting these trucks on the road ditch the torque tube for a donor rear end. Scavenging a couple axles could potentially be cheaper and easier and shouldn't be too hard in your area.


1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod
You Tube
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 27
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 27
Thx for all the input so far...what would make a good rear end donor?


Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit
If you think quitting nicotine is hard, try quitting CANCER! Quit 10/18/2012

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,798
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,798
The problem with going to an open driveline rear end is that a transmission change is also needed. Curt is talking about finding someone who has done the transmission/rear end swap and getting the axles out of his old rear end. Some folks will give the whole thing away just to get it moved! Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 27
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 27
***UPDATE***
I went to my FLAPS and bought the 7/16x20 wheel studs that I THOUGHT I needed. Everywhere I looked, and everyone I asked said the same thing. Found the Dorman 610-025 and it looked to be right...LOOKED to be.

I pulled my axle. Using my caliper/micrometer, I eyeballed the diameter of the knurled/serrated shoulder of the wheel studs in my axle and it showed to be about .600-.620 ish... Then I measured my brand new ones and the measured .556 at the shoulder. Trolled thru about three more FLAPS's and can NOT find the proper wheel stud with the 5/8-ish serrated shoulder.

*scratching head*

What to do now? Question #1 is, Why do all the different 'authorities' tell me that I need one particular bolt, when mine is completely different. I guess there is some possibility that a previous owner swapped axles on my old truck, but knowing what I know about the truck, and the meticulous records that have travelled with the truck, and been handed down to me, I think it is highly unlikely that the axles were changed.

So do y'all have any input/ideas on this situation? One thought is that I could change all the studs on both sides of the truck.

Will get actuall existing stud measurements tomorrow once I get them pressed out...


Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit
If you think quitting nicotine is hard, try quitting CANCER! Quit 10/18/2012

Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 27
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 27
***UPDATE #2***

disregard previous update. All's well. Pressed out the old ones and the 610-025's were the right size after all. The visual 'guesstimation' by me and my father-in-law was a bit deficient apparently.

...carry on


Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit
If you think quitting nicotine is hard, try quitting CANCER! Quit 10/18/2012


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0