The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (DadsFirstPickup, Bill Hanlon, 1 invisible), 147 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,231
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1014054 03/14/2014 1:31 AM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 126
F
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 126
1954 Chevy 3100
http://imgur.com/YcZe5Fc

I bought a painless wiring harness and am attempting to hook up the turn signal switch.

I used this wiring diagram:
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm24/winowally/Truck%20%20Parts/TurnSignals.jpg

But it is not working properly. Need help.

Here is the wiring diagram for the new wiring harness:
[See 'Steering Column Connector' on page3]
http://www.dreamershotrods.com/images/american/instructions/500467_Instructions.pdf

Last edited by FPMnky; 03/14/2014 1:39 AM.

DJ __|__
--O-(_)-O--
'54 Chevy 3100
http://imgur.com/5XR6yO3
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,636
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,636
Might help to know what kind of problem you are having. Is part of the lights working? Wrong light working? Nothing working at all?

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 126
F
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 126
I have power coming from the brake switch when brakes are pressed. I imagine the red wire, going into the switch, is the power that feeds everything. What I need to know is which wire is the left/right turn signal and which is the brake lights. By which wires, I mean on the switch itself. I have 6 colors: orange, red, green, black, yellow, and brown.


DJ __|__
--O-(_)-O--
'54 Chevy 3100
http://imgur.com/5XR6yO3
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 126
F
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 126
Just a thought right now, ill hook up the red wire and see what gets power when I change the blinkers and brakes... nvm yall...


DJ __|__
--O-(_)-O--
'54 Chevy 3100
http://imgur.com/5XR6yO3
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
soldering on that switch looks suspect, possible cold joints .... compare that generic wiring diagram with the info in the tech tip

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 126
F
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 126
I got it working.

The right blinker is blinking slower and dimmer than the left side. Any suggestions?


DJ __|__
--O-(_)-O--
'54 Chevy 3100
http://imgur.com/5XR6yO3
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
I bought a flasher from one of the old chevy parts dealers. I figured out after the second one they were junk. Paid about 8.00. Then bought a borg warner for 20.00 and they work great.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
Blinking slower, dimmer? Ground or hot contact corroded/loose somewhere. Could be problem inside the switch.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
Slower and dimmer on one side can be caused by a bad connection. Either hot or a bad ground. If those check out then look at the light bulbs and make sure they match what is in the working side. A low watt bulb will draw less current than a higher watt bulb and the flasher is current sensitive. A single low watt bulb will dim and slow the lights on one side. Let us know what you find.


Steve H
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
I was having slow and inconsistent blinking and it was the flasher.


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0