The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Hotrod Lincoln, 49choptop, burgundybolt, 1 invisible), 96 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,086
Posts1,056,333
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 401
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 401
So my springs were completely worn out with the ends opening up and too big for new bushings. I also need new pins, bolts and shackles. Terminology might be wrong here. Anyway, does anyone have a good set of Napa numbers or other options for getting new hardware for the springs? I've seen many places advertising 1/2 and 3/4 ton parts, but no 1.5 ton. I've tried getting some of these suppliers to get me specs on the parts they do offer to compare to mine and they don't respond. Any info would be great.

Thanks.

Fred


1956 Chevy School Bus Superior Body
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 97
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 97
Talk with your local (big) truck spring and chassis repair shop. Many of these shops can build springs on site using your old one as a pattern. They should either stock or be able to find bushings, pins and associated hardware. My experience with my local shop (Malmberg in Ottawa ON Canada) has been good. If your shackles are cast or forged (i.e. manufacturer specific) you may need to find the part number and do a web search. I'm constantly amazed what can be found. It may take a while of repeating the search as results can vary from day to day.

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,186
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,186
I find it hard to believe the spring opening has enlarged, are you sure it's not just the bushing is all wallered out? I'm in the process of redoing a second truck with bushings and pins. On my '55 1st 2 ton, I found out from my parts book the front spring threaded pin and bushing are the same for 1947-1956 1 ton as they all use a 2' spring. These kits can be bought on eBay pretty cheap. The rear fixed pin is a bit harder to get. I bought mine from Chevs of the 40's. Rear spring parts are also on eBay you just need to know your parts numbers. Check here for different size bushings. If your spring is damaged, you really need to replace it for safety reasons.

Bruce


My Trucks
Stuff I Collect
If it doesn't matter if you win or loose.......why do they keep score?
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 35
8
New Guy
New Guy
8 Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 35
I had the same problem with the bushings in a set of springs I done a few years ago. Problem was the bushings itself I got from Eaton spring was the wrong size for my spring attachment pins. I took the springs to a local machine shop & had them machine bronze/brass(don't know which it was) to fit the spring holes & the the attachment pin that goes through the spring eyelet. Works great & the pin slides in & out of the bushing w/ease & has a snug fit... So I ended up w/new pins from Eaton & had the bushing reamed correctly to ensure a proper fit in both the spring & around the pin.


An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
I found the threaded bushing for my 58 GMC 100 at RareParts after weeks of searching. I had to look at the 54 model year to find it though. blush
Other than that I found most everything else @rockauto.


Give me ambiguity
or give me something else
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 401
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 401
All good suggestions guys. Thank you so much for the info. I just bought a set of NOS shackles. Now to get the pins and bolts. I'll for sure get a second opinion on the springs themselves as to the eyes opening up. I'll try the new hardware too and see if it's bad. I think you've given me some good direction to get things sorted out. smile


1956 Chevy School Bus Superior Body
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
My father operated 2 tons in his fuel distributing businesses from the 30's until the 70's. My first semi was a 56 GMC 550. Grease wasn't very good before lithium base grease came into common use and it was very common to wear completely through the bushings and into the spring eye. The common fix was to weld a new bushing in place in the spring eye. It worked fine in those days and it will still work.

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 413
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 413
Fred, are you looking for the ones for the front or rear springs?

The rear pins are still available from NAPA for my 45 GMC 400 series 2 1/2 ton truck.

The GM # is 3656669
NAPA # is NCP 2748126
Raybestos# 576-5004
Includes bushing
These should fit your truck.
According to NAPA's website they also fit 3/4 ton & 1 ton also.
My front pins are different, as they have the splines on one end. I cant seem to find those anywhere.

Last edited by JeffL; 03/16/2014 2:37 PM.
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 401
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 401
Excellent. Thank you JeffL. I've also gotten my confidence boosted by you all to rebuild my spring pack myself. Now to get to work this week. Then I can get the new axle in and post how it went for a replacement option.
Thanks again to a great group of guys.


1956 Chevy School Bus Superior Body
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 401
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 401


1956 Chevy School Bus Superior Body
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,002
V
VEW Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
V Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,002
Nice work, Fred. You're "springing" into action there!

I'm following your conversion becasue I may want to do it with my bus a bit later.

Thanks!


~ Victor
1941 3/4-Ton Pickup (in process). Read about it in the DITY Gallery
1955 Grumman Kurbside "Doughboy" 235/3 on tree w/ OD
1957 3100 - moved on
1959 C4500 Short Bus "Magic Bus" - moved on
1959 G3800 1 Ton Dually "Chief" - moved on
1958 C4400 Viking "Thor" ~ moved on to fellow Bolter

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 401
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 401
Thanks Victor. I'm hoping to have the remaining parts here Tuesday. So a bit more cleanup on the chassis and I should be ready to hang them in there. I already know I will need to modify the spring mounts on the new axle, but that will be pretty easy I think. Honestly if I would've known the spring were as easy as they were I wouldn't have wasted 3 weeks with waiting on the spring shop. Lol


1956 Chevy School Bus Superior Body
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 413
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 413
Looks good Fred, thats just that I did to mine. i took the rears completely apart & sandblasted & painteed each leaf, all 22 of em each side. i think you have the same shackles as i have.

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 120
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 120
Same process for the rear of my 1.5 ton. I found bushes in a stock size that fitted, with pins etc from Filling Station. For the front I sent off the old main springs to a spring shop as the tyres had been hitting them and worn them badly. Got back perfect copies. For the rest of the front leaves I found springs from the back of a Toyota wagon were perfect- same section, same curve, I chopped them to length and in they went. There is a lot of info out there, looks like you are doing it right.


'47 Canadian RHD 1.5 ton truck

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0