The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Woodcmiami), 86 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,100
Posts1,056,513
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 6
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 6
I'm looking at one of those 292 replacement exhaust manifolds from THE Company in Iowa. It doesn't have a heat riser. I am planning to put it on a 250 that I use for a daily driver. Will I have any problems with that or could I drill it and put a heat riser out of another manifold in it?
I'm a newbie to this forum and really appreciate the expertise of you veterans! Thanks

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
It would be pretty hard to install a heat rizor in a manifold without one. The 292 & 250 manifolds are interchangeable. The heavy duty manifolds that are used on the 1 1/2 ton & larger 292 trucks did not come with one. It has a 2 1/2 in. opening & points straight down. Is a new one available with the heat rizor in it?


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 6
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 6
I haven't been able to find one of the new ones with a heat riser in it. The new one that is sold by THE Company in Iowa doesn't have a heat riser in it. I'd pickup a used one with a heat riser, but I don't know where to find one. I'm worried that without a heat riser you might overheat the intake manifold eventually?

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,226
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,226
You could install a stainless steel plate with only a small opening between the two manifolds. It would heat but still limit how much. I doubt it would over heat, the valves don't seal 100%, not even 75%, it directs the exhaust down and out more then seal off the intake.

Joe

Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 6
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 6
[quote=Joe H]You could install a stainless steel plate with only a small opening between the two manifolds. It would heat but still limit how much. I doubt it would over heat, the valves don't seal 100%, not even 75%, it directs the exhaust down and out more then seal off the intake.

Joe [/quote]
That sounds like a good idea. Maybe I could drill a few holes - 3'8"? - in the plate. I'm looking for something that will heat up faster when the engine is cold than the plates that are made to circulate radiator coolant under the intake manifold. Do you think I would have to have some machining done to one or both manifolds (the thickness of the alum plate) so they would still align and seal to the head?

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 486
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 486
Mikie,
Out of curiosity, what is the part number of the manifold you're looking at from THE company? Thanks.



'64 swb stepside (gone)
'57 1 ton
'53 phone truck
'59 swb
'46 1 1/2 ton
'68 swb gmc
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,226
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,226
Some of the gasket sets come with a block off gasket, it has steel on side. I have used them in the past, but they always seemed to be burnt through when I remove them.

18 to 25 gauge (.050" to .0219" ) would work with out altering the manifolds. I have had to use two gaskets to get a old manifold to seal with out problems. You may have to buy a new gasket, then cut in apart to sandwich the stainless steel.


Intake Manifold to Exhaust Manifold Gasket
Part Number: FPG 9763
Product Line: FEL-PRO Gaskets

Part # MS9786 Full set including solid gasket.


Joe

Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 6
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 6
Thanks for your reply Joe. I talked to a retired GM engineer this weekend and he said that without a heat riser valve directing the exhaust gasses up towards the intake manifold, the gasses just kind of "drift" up there a little bit.That kind of sounds like my worries about it getting the intake too hot might be unlikely. Maybe you can just leave that passageway open?

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,226
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,226
You sure can. if you look close at the valve, you will see it doesn't do much at all in sealing off the intake, its just a diverter to get the exh out of the manifold better.

Joe


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0