The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (3800GUY, Bill Hanlon, Gray_Ghost, JW51), 115 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,098
Posts1,056,167
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1010534 02/28/2014 5:14 PM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 116
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 116
I have '72 C60 with a very tired 366. Oil pressure is good and it doesn't seem to use much oil.
Once I get it warmed up it seems to idle fairly smooth.

Do the cams ever go flat on these engines?

I'm wondering about pulling the heads and re-ringing it in frame. I've never attempted an in frame overhaul before, rebuilt several small blocks on stands.
Any tips, advice?

Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 362
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 362
While the only dealling I've had with the 366 is in a single axle dump truck that I use to drive for a local construction company back in the 80's, yes the camshafts do wear out. Sometimes they don't always get serviced like they should and the loabs do wear out and get flat.Larry


58 gmc 100 with 350 sbc
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 116
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 116
That is what this one is Larry, a single axle dump I use around the farm. It's getting hard to start and is really down on power coming up the hill.
I was hoping to hear the cams never wear out. Not sure if I want to get that deep into it. I have a nice 350 I can replace it with if it has to come out.
As soon as it warms up a bit I hope to do a compression test. I'll look at the valve lift at the rocker arms at the same time.

I've always heard the old 366 had pretty good torque at low rpm.

Last edited by Coyote; 02/28/2014 5:57 PM.
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 402
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 402
Coyote,,, Everything wares out, the stroke on a 366 is 3.760 and a small bore, the bore on your 350 is 4. and the stroke is 3.500 so it will have less torque than your 366., just take it out and go though it, if its not cracked anywhere then, re-ring it, new bearings, cam/lifters, gear and chain, oil pump. fix it and put it back in, everything will fit, manifolds and exhaust and all the other stuff. you can still do this in the frame if you don't want to pull it, your going to have the heads off and pistons out you might as well look at the cam from the bottom and see what it looks like. you'll be a happy man that way. Just my dollars worth . Dan


http://s1055.photobucket.com/user/baldybenny/library/

1936 1.5 wrecker,1937 gmc coe,1939 Chevrolet coe,1942 4x4 coe, 1942 coe,1946 dump,1947 2 ton dump,another 1947 2 ton dump,1950 coe,1967 c30,1937 cat 22,1936 Chevrolet 5 window foremans coupe, 1914 ford speedster.
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 11
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 11
Coyote---- Pull the valve covers and check to see that all rockers are moving fully. If you have a round lobe there will be little or no movement. Been there. A good 366 is a real stump puller when running well.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0