The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Dennys28, Steelonsteel, Opelika Tom, Wayne67vert, Shade Baby, Guitplayer), 124 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,401
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1006880 02/13/2014 6:54 PM
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 568
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 568
My frame has diamond about 2". Meaning it went oblong somehow. Anyone have experience straightening and welding new cross braces? If so, was it a pain in the butt and did it even work?


I can explain it to you, I can't understand it for you.
Hollow65 #1006898 02/13/2014 7:44 PM
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
Can you take it to a local frame shop? That would be the best way to repair it.


1946 GMC Pickup - S-10 Frame, 455 Buick, TH400, original patina.

My 46 GMC on Photobucket
Hollow65 #1006951 02/13/2014 11:05 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
I have a factory filmstrip (1968) that shows the factory recommendation and procedures for repairs in several slides. I can't post it for a few days but I will by next week. I guess a couple questions I would ask is how good a welder are you! The second would be what will the truck be used for? A street truck with no load requirements is a different approach then a work truck.

Hollow65 #1006956 02/13/2014 11:20 PM
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 413
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 413
The best way to fix that, put it on a frame machine & give it a pull.
Although you wont find any frame specs for anything that old, someone who is good with full frame vehicles should be able to pull it & get it within specs.

Sounds like that truck was hit square on the end of one of the frame rails.

Last edited by JeffL; 02/13/2014 11:22 PM.
JeffL #1006964 02/13/2014 11:59 PM
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
Originally Posted by JeffL
The best way to fix that, put it on a frame machine & give it a pull.
Although you wont find any frame specs for anything that old, someone who is good with full frame vehicles should be able to pull it & get it within specs.

Sounds like that truck was hit square on the end of one of the frame rails.

You might find measurements in this GM Vehicle Information Pack for 1965 Chevrolet


1946 GMC Pickup - S-10 Frame, 455 Buick, TH400, original patina.

My 46 GMC on Photobucket
Hollow65 #1006966 02/14/2014 12:02 AM
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 568
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 568
I can pull square. I'll see if my dads shop can do it. Thanks guys.


I can explain it to you, I can't understand it for you.
Hollow65 #1006972 02/14/2014 12:26 AM
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
My '46 needed the frame straightened too. I used a local body shop that had a frame machine. I found the info they needed to pull it back square in the Shop Manual. Would the '65 Shop Manual maybe have the info needed?

Hollow65 #1007045 02/14/2014 3:59 AM
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 568
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 568
yeah I dukes of hazard the truck like 16 years ago through an intersection. it drives straight, just sideways lol.


I can explain it to you, I can't understand it for you.
Hollow65 #1007177 02/14/2014 5:26 PM
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
Originally Posted by Hollow65
yeah I dukes of hazard the truck like 16 years ago through an intersection. it drives straight, just sideways lol.

I was wondering what you meant by "dog legs" in the thread title. By your last post, now I get it. I'm not sure if there is a difference in terminology from down there to up here or not, up here we call it Dog Tracking!


1946 GMC Pickup - S-10 Frame, 455 Buick, TH400, original patina.

My 46 GMC on Photobucket
46gmcpu #1007259 02/15/2014 12:58 AM
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,262
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,262
Dog Leg... Dog Tracking...

If you see 4 separate tire tracks in the mud or snow you're all speaking the same language. yahoo

Hollow65 #1007269 02/15/2014 1:30 AM
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
"crabs walk sideways and lobsters walk straight"

crabbing is more descriptive grin

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Hollow65 #1007297 02/15/2014 3:11 AM
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
All I know is that when I am following one like that, I get semi-hypnotized and have to fight from going into the ditch.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Flxible #1007302 02/15/2014 3:23 AM
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,262
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,262
Originally Posted by red58
"crabs walk sideways and lobsters walk straight"

crabbing is more descriptive grin

Bill

crabs???

lobsters???

Never had those as a mile high Coloradan. But I have had dogies. yahoo


Hollow65 #1007332 02/15/2014 4:52 AM
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
well, maybe yer just too young grin

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Hollow65 #1007339 02/15/2014 5:28 AM
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 568
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 568
I'm sure 600+ lb/ft of torque is not helping the frame stay straight. Truck needs an entire tear down this year. I've been abusing it for 14 years.


I can explain it to you, I can't understand it for you.

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0