Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,132 Posts1,056,378 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2013 Posts: 568 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2013 Posts: 568 | My frame has diamond about 2". Meaning it went oblong somehow. Anyone have experience straightening and welding new cross braces? If so, was it a pain in the butt and did it even work?
I can explain it to you, I can't understand it for you.
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 1,596 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 1,596 | Can you take it to a local frame shop? That would be the best way to repair it. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 | I have a factory filmstrip (1968) that shows the factory recommendation and procedures for repairs in several slides. I can't post it for a few days but I will by next week. I guess a couple questions I would ask is how good a welder are you! The second would be what will the truck be used for? A street truck with no load requirements is a different approach then a work truck. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 413 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 413 | The best way to fix that, put it on a frame machine & give it a pull. Although you wont find any frame specs for anything that old, someone who is good with full frame vehicles should be able to pull it & get it within specs.
Sounds like that truck was hit square on the end of one of the frame rails.
Last edited by JeffL; 02/13/2014 11:22 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 1,596 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 1,596 | The best way to fix that, put it on a frame machine & give it a pull. Although you wont find any frame specs for anything that old, someone who is good with full frame vehicles should be able to pull it & get it within specs.
Sounds like that truck was hit square on the end of one of the frame rails. You might find measurements in this GM Vehicle Information Pack for 1965 Chevrolet | | | | | Joined: Aug 2013 Posts: 568 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2013 Posts: 568 | I can pull square. I'll see if my dads shop can do it. Thanks guys.
I can explain it to you, I can't understand it for you.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 1,122 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 1,122 | My '46 needed the frame straightened too. I used a local body shop that had a frame machine. I found the info they needed to pull it back square in the Shop Manual. Would the '65 Shop Manual maybe have the info needed? | | | | | Joined: Aug 2013 Posts: 568 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2013 Posts: 568 | yeah I dukes of hazard the truck like 16 years ago through an intersection. it drives straight, just sideways lol.
I can explain it to you, I can't understand it for you.
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 1,596 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 1,596 | yeah I dukes of hazard the truck like 16 years ago through an intersection. it drives straight, just sideways lol. I was wondering what you meant by "dog legs" in the thread title. By your last post, now I get it. I'm not sure if there is a difference in terminology from down there to up here or not, up here we call it Dog Tracking! | | | | | Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 1,262 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 1,262 | Dog Leg... Dog Tracking... If you see 4 separate tire tracks in the mud or snow you're all speaking the same language.  | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | "crabs walk sideways and lobsters walk straight" crabbing is more descriptive  Bill | | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,281 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,281 | All I know is that when I am following one like that, I get semi-hypnotized and have to fight from going into the ditch.
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 1,262 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 1,262 | "crabs walk sideways and lobsters walk straight" crabbing is more descriptive  Bill crabs??? lobsters??? Never had those as a mile high Coloradan. But I have had dogies.  | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | well, maybe yer just too young  Bill | | | | | Joined: Aug 2013 Posts: 568 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2013 Posts: 568 | I'm sure 600+ lb/ft of torque is not helping the frame stay straight. Truck needs an entire tear down this year. I've been abusing it for 14 years.
I can explain it to you, I can't understand it for you.
| | |
| |