The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Charles in CA, IHPWR, Otto Skorzeny, 1955 1 Series), 155 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,107
Posts1,056,225
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 301
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 301
I'd like to retain the stock shocks if they are expensively workable. I know I can get them rebuilt for around $300 for the pair but I will convert to gas shocks before I spend that much. My question is what is 'normal' action on these. They have the single screw out plug on the bottom and both are much stiffer to push the arm down than up which seems backwards to me. I flushed one out and put fresh hydraulic jack oil in it and it behaves the same just a little stiffer on the down stroke. Are they suppose to be the same resistance travel both ways? Or am I experiencing what is normal? Thanks for any help.


1949 Chevy 3600
1975 W-25 Hurst Olds
1970 GMC 1/2 ton Fleetside
2010 Chevy Silverado
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Stock equipment I believe was a single action shock, but they
were available as a double action shock also. Sounds like you
have the stock single action shock.
The shock would allow the axle to respond to a bump and dampen
the rebound.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 301
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 301
Denny, looking in my shop manual they are a double action because they have pistons for both the up and down stroke but a single external control valve for the rebound piston only. An optional shock had external control valves for both the compression and the rebound pistons. Just seemed strange the resistance on pushing the arm up is much less than pushing the arm down. But taking the effects of the leaf springs trying to push the arm downward and how rapidly the pistons would oscillate by road motion...I'm thinking this is by design and my shocks are working ok. There isn't much to them to go wrong and they were still holding fluid so leakage is not a problem.


1949 Chevy 3600
1975 W-25 Hurst Olds
1970 GMC 1/2 ton Fleetside
2010 Chevy Silverado
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 301
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 301
Yep, mine are the double actions shown in section 2-8 of that manual you linked to Tim.


1949 Chevy 3600
1975 W-25 Hurst Olds
1970 GMC 1/2 ton Fleetside
2010 Chevy Silverado
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 301
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 301
Well I went ahead and took the end caps off and flushed them both and checked the action of the valves inside(verified they weren't leaking or sticking). Made some new end cap gaskets and put them back together with fresh oil. replaced the rubber bushings for the arms and links......I'm going to run with them.


1949 Chevy 3600
1975 W-25 Hurst Olds
1970 GMC 1/2 ton Fleetside
2010 Chevy Silverado

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0