The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Roy Rodgers, Oswald, Brian Moore), 124 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1005322 02/08/2014 5:12 AM
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 170
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 170
My truck has the die cast frame, does the correct gasket come with holes in it for the screws to pass thru? I believe I was sold the wrong one because it covers the holes and there is no way to mount it. I double checked the Steele part # and it matches the application, but there is no way it can work. Also what are you guys using for the cloth tape between metal body parts? Thanks, Scott

Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
Scott,

The new rear window gasket I got from Steele Rubber did not have the holes for the screws nor were the ends vucanized. I cut the gasket to fit the glass, taped the gasket to the glass and then placed the glass/gasket assembly in the cab opening. I made sure the assembly was centered adequately, and then had someone mark the screw hole locations from inside the cab. Once I had the hole locations determined, I used a freshly sharpened gasket hole cutter to make the perforations. The process worked out fairly well.

Paul


1941 Chevy 1 1/2-ton WW2 4x4 dump truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Lots more pictures
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 170
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 170
My gasket is 1/2" thick and one piece, does that sound similar to yours? The seam is vulcanized on mine, and the OD is exactly the same as the frame. Scott

Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
It sounds like you got a better part, I had to glue my gasket as it was not vulcanized. I would say that the 1/2 thick part and size to the pot metal frame sounds right. I used a paint marker to locate where to punch the holes.

Paul


1941 Chevy 1 1/2-ton WW2 4x4 dump truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Lots more pictures
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 137
F
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 137
I'd love to see pictures, from both sides, once you have it installed.

Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
I will make an attempt to get some images posted.


1941 Chevy 1 1/2-ton WW2 4x4 dump truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Lots more pictures
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
Here are a couple of images of my rear window. The civilian application would be the same less the back window guard.


http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/sho...p;title=2014-02-13-11-31-21&cat=3722

http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/sho...p;title=2014-02-13-11-30-12&cat=3722

Last edited by Paul_WNC; 02/14/2014 1:44 PM.

1941 Chevy 1 1/2-ton WW2 4x4 dump truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Lots more pictures
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 170
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 170
Did you use any sealant? The hole punch worked great! Thanks, Scott

Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
Scott,

I used some bath and kitchen type sealant that can be cleaned up with water. I CARFULLY injected a small bead around the perimeter, and then wiped most of it away with paper towels/rags. I finished the process by wiping the area with a damp sponge cleaned often with water until all of the sealant residue was removed.

Yeah the gasket punch sure did work for cutting the rubber. I tested drilling the holes, and don't think it would have worked as well. I don't know about you, but I was glad to have the rear window task behind me.

Paul


1941 Chevy 1 1/2-ton WW2 4x4 dump truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Lots more pictures

Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0