| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
8 members (32Fordpuchoptop, Gdads51, Gray_Ghost, Charles in CA, 55shaker, elhippie64, TUTS 59, 3800GUY),
103
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,118 Posts1,056,302 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2014 Posts: 44 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2014 Posts: 44 | I am replacing all the glass in my 59 Apache 31....I have purchased all the weather stripping and the glass....anybody have an idea on installation cost? I'm trying to work on my budget (which always seems difficult :D )
Thanks!!! | | | | | Joined: Jul 2007 Posts: 328 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2007 Posts: 328 | At a pro glass shop the windshield should be the easiest to go in…
Took my guys about 20 minutes to get my 51 panel windshield installed (2 piece)
The side glass and vent glass is another matter. If your old stuff is still in and THEY have to dismantle and re-install the new parts… then you'd be looking at two to four hours minimum; IF nothing goes wrong like broken screws/bolts/regulators, etc… There's a lot of cleaning and scraping of old material from channels and glass frames to be done…labor intensive.. I'd remove all the stuff myself and get it all ready for them and save some $$.
I did my side glass myself (first time) and switched to power windows at that time. Not rocket science, just labor & common sense..took about a day per side.
my 2 cents! mike
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 277 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 277 | I just did the vent window on my 55.1 and it was pretty easy. I used a propane torch to heat up the metal frame and then held on to what was left of the glass and pulled it out. I reheated the frame in a few places to scrape out pieces of the old setting tape.
1955 First Series 3100
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2014 Posts: 44 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2014 Posts: 44 | I have a pdf of the original shop manuals, so I might just get crazy and try it myself. I called a place this morning and they said around $500.
Thanks | | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,281 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,281 | The Book says that gasoline dissolves the setting tape and remarkably, light oil is used on the new tape to make it swell up and hold the glass in place. I doubt if oil would react that way on modern setting tape. Carl
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | ...I used gasoline to loosen my 52 stuff. Works like a champ. Kerosene will do it to but takes longer. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 4,215 Moderator | | Moderator Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 4,215 | I did the same as Mike on my 53. There is an excellent tech tip on the door glass that I used. It's time consuming but not difficult. The pro came by to my shop and helped with the windshields. I paid him $60 which included travel time. | | |
| |
| |