The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (rfs56trk, Guitplayer), 78 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,566
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
I just realized that I have one in each of my vintage Moostangs but not in my beloved Chebbie truck. Not that I am expecting it to catch on fire but more of a security that just in case as well as if I drive by someone else who's car is on fire, I'd like to attempt in helping.

Where do you guys and gals have yours mounted?



Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
Under the seat. Easy to grab.


1946 GMC Pickup - S-10 Frame, 455 Buick, TH400, original patina.

My 46 GMC on Photobucket
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
D
Gas Pumper
Gas Pumper
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
I want to get one of those nice metal clamp-in brackets for a nice small extinguisher and incorporate it in the cab corner area behind the driver. Just have to find a bracket like they used to make.


Deve

1950 Chevy 3100 Deluxe Cab
1950 Chevy 3100 Standard Cab
In the Stovebolt Gallery
The Think Tank
More info and tips at Deve's Technet
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
In the late 60s and early 70s, I'd often visit car/truck junk yards. I recall seeing a few extinguisher mounts attached to the inner side-cowl on the passenger side (often next to a metal-box first aid kit). These would often be in school/service trucks that had no heaters.

Here is a 1954 GMC extinguisher and mounting bracket (on Rob English's website).

The extinguisher bracket/strap (mounting) was not sophisticated - they looked like the least expensive of these.

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
D
Gas Pumper
Gas Pumper
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
Yep. What would be really nice is an antique looking extinguisher like that with the metal bracket. The time to spot weld that bracket in is pretty much now before I paint!


Deve

1950 Chevy 3100 Deluxe Cab
1950 Chevy 3100 Standard Cab
In the Stovebolt Gallery
The Think Tank
More info and tips at Deve's Technet
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,094
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,094
Mine is on the passenger side kick panel by the vent.


Tommy
59 apache 1/2t
261 short stepside
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,123
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,123
Mine too.

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Mine is on the passenger side kick panel as well. If you check, many car shows do require that every vehicle entered in the show must have an extinguisher in it. The shows that I attend in my area even specify where it should be located, which is on the passenger side kick panel.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
Good stuff. Thanks.


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 354
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 354
On the firewall under the dash. Clearly visible and easy to access.
Check the pressure gauge often.


Harold Wilson
41 Chevy 3/4 Ton
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Since I taint gonna haul a load of sheep, gravel or dirt in the
old gal, I use the corner of the bed. Had them ask at a few
show about an extinguisher and always got the nod with it
outside the cab, besides, I need the legroom inside.
http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/154196422
DG


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,256
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,256
I have a Suburban, so mine is inside the double doors on the passenger wall. Cargo area.

Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611

The 1941-43 Chevrolet military trucks had the fire extinguisher placed on the passenger side firewall (see link).

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/military/1945_46/4x4cmt002.htm

Later somewhere in 1943, GM moved the fire extinguisher to the center of the firewall.


1941 Chevy 1 1/2-ton WW2 4x4 dump truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Lots more pictures
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,256
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,256
Passenger side is a good thing. Idea being, when a fire happens, adrenalin starts pumpin' and people get a little excited. If you are on the road, running out to the drivers side, in to traffic, to get the extinguisher might not have favorable results.

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
Again, thanks for all the ideas. Last night I put it under the seat for now but really like the idea of mounting it on the RH kick panel that covers the vent, as long as the wife doesn't kick it.



Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
I would still rather have it under the seat within my reach than across the cab on the passenger kick panel. Either way though.


1946 GMC Pickup - S-10 Frame, 455 Buick, TH400, original patina.

My 46 GMC on Photobucket
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
Originally Posted by LONGBOX55
If you check, many car shows do require that every vehicle entered in the show must have an extinguisher in it. The shows that I attend in my area even specify where it should be located, which is on the passenger side kick panel.

I'm curious what shows you are entering that require a fire extinguisher?

I have literally never had a requirement that I have a fire extinguisher in my vintage vehicle to attend a show, and if they told me where it needed to be mounted they would be told where to go, as no show organizer has the right to regulate safety equipment (unless it is a race event).


1946 GMC Pickup - S-10 Frame, 455 Buick, TH400, original patina.

My 46 GMC on Photobucket
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
any show organizer has "the right" to regulate anything they want at an event they put on, particularly if they have insurance

extinguisher requirements would be in keeping with the NSRA safety rules, and the most any time an extinguisher is 'required' it's on the pass kick panel so that other folks jumping to your rescue in an accident know where to find it, before you recover consciousness wink

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
The NSRA inspection is optional, if the owner chooses to.

What I meant was that they don't have the right to tell me that my vehicle needs something that isn't specified by the Transportation Safety Act. Sure, they can say I can't go in the show, and I wouldn't. My truck has all the safety equipment required by the Transportation Safety Act, and even some extras, but it's not the place of a show organizer to tell me what I need and don't need. That's just a personal thing, I guess. I'm not screwing a fire extinguisher to my kick panel just to make some guy with a clipboard happy.


1946 GMC Pickup - S-10 Frame, 455 Buick, TH400, original patina.

My 46 GMC on Photobucket
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
Originally Posted by red58
any show organizer has "the right" to regulate anything they want at an event they put on, particularly if they have insurance

extinguisher requirements would be in keeping with the NSRA safety rules, and the most any time an extinguisher is 'required' it's on the pass kick panel so that other folks jumping to your rescue in an accident know where to find it, before you recover consciousness wink

Bill

The NSRA Regulations that you linked to also only RECOMMEND an extinguisher in the passenger compartment, AND don't specify a location. I would rather have it much closer to the driver. My fuse panel is in the middle of the truck under the dash. Having something happen while driving would make a passenger side extinguisher useless if I was by myself.


1946 GMC Pickup - S-10 Frame, 455 Buick, TH400, original patina.

My 46 GMC on Photobucket
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
you questioned shows requiring extinguishers, you got an answer, your objections to the procedures don't need justifying, anything is 'optional' unless the particular show says otherwise

I don't carry one myself, but our local shows here suggest folks have an extinguisher, and most vehicles have them - it's common for it to be 'displayed' on the passenger side floor

myself, in the event the electrical under my dash started sparking, I wouldn't be reaching for the extinguisher, I'd have my foot on the brake and be heading for the side of the road grin

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
Nice!


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Quote
My truck has all the safety equipment required by the Transportation Safety Act, and even some extras, but it's not the place of a show organizer to tell me what I need and don't need.
You will not be able to park on the field at a a USA ATHS national show unless you have a fire extinguisher. The ATHS local shows are supposed to have the same RULE but they are often a little lax. They do not tell you where/how it has to be stored/attached.

Oh, they have a right to make any rules for a private show. Get over it.

Some shows require a wheel chock, or provide one. This is odd, your truck could roll in either of two directions. Why not require two wheel chocks.

An explanation would be appreciated. An argument will be ignored.

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
Made a corporate decision and mounted on the RH kick panel for now. Easy access and wont be kicked by the Mrs.

Fire Ext


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,293
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,293
The folks that put on shows that require fire extinguishers are looking out you. It is very likely that fires in old, original vehicles have occurred at shows, which shouldn't be shocking to anyone. My knee jerk reaction to that rule at the first show that I went to, was of displeasure. 'Who are they to tell me what to do?' Then I thought about the fire trap that was my truck, and I pulled the fire extinguisher out of my boat and put it in the ole 'rolling tinder box', where it has been ever since.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Looks good, Craig

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
Originally Posted by cmayna
Made a corporate decision and mounted on the RH kick panel for now. Easy access and wont be kicked by the Mrs.

Fire Ext

thumbs_up
I have a Harrison heater at that location
And a kids car seat belted in the seat, so under the cushion won't work for me right now.



Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Originally Posted by 46gmcpu
I'm curious what shows you are entering that require a fire extinguisher?
Locally, it's shows put on by the Illiana Antique Auto Club and Georgetown Junkyard Dogs. Both clubs have the same requirements of having an extinguisher onboard, the IAAC is the one that has a specific location for it. The Lyons Club in Newport, Indiana, also has a similar rule for the Hill Climb, but I believe that only applies to vehicles entered in the hill climb itself and not to show cars. Goodguys and Super Chevy have similar rules for their national shows.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
D
Gas Pumper
Gas Pumper
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
I don't really have an opinion about all this show/noshow crap, but to me.. after running my engine on the engine stand, and watching my roch B for no apparent reason start spewing gas all over the manifold but only every 3 or 4 runs, its just prudent to have an extinguisher handy. I can see myself driving to a show or event and during the drive having this happen. After everything is good and hot. Personally if you are reading this, and you don't have an extinguisher handy, you are really wishing for the best.


Deve

1950 Chevy 3100 Deluxe Cab
1950 Chevy 3100 Standard Cab
In the Stovebolt Gallery
The Think Tank
More info and tips at Deve's Technet
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
Originally Posted by Deve
I don't really have an opinion about all this show/noshow crap, but to me.. after running my engine on the engine stand, and watching my roch B for no apparent reason start spewing gas all over the manifold but only every 3 or 4 runs, its just prudent to have an extinguisher handy. I can see myself driving to a show or event and during the drive having this happen. After everything is good and hot. Personally if you are reading this, and you don't have an extinguisher handy, you are really wishing for the best.

This was the sole purpose of this post. I don't care about car show requirements. I care about the rig and others around me, thus why I started this post. My truck is now a proud parent of an Halon extinguisher and loving it.


Last edited by cmayna; 01/22/2014 2:37 AM.

Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
I didn't intend to cause any sort of major debate over the issue. Only passing along information from my own experiences partly for those who might enter shows, as well as a possible guideline for anyone wanting to put an extinguisher in their vehicle, whether they enter shows or not.
In any case, be it on the passenger side kick panel, under the seat, in the bed, etc, having one onboard is a great idea. Better safe than sorry.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
amen brother.


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,989
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,989
Hadn't really thought about a fire extinguisher, but probably should get one. I'll have to come up with a location though. My RH kick panel already has something else fastened there.


Rich
1947 Loadmaster
1947 Chev. Loadmaster
1959 Chev. Viking 40

Life is short--eat dessert first!
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,363
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,363
If you have one make sure it is not a dry chemical type. That stuff makes a huge mess and corrodes the heck outa anything. As far as I know it is not allowed for use on anything aircraft.
I'd go with CO2 can you even get the halon?


Kicking self for selling off my Taskforce trucks.
Still looking for an LCF or conventional big bolt in decent shape.


As of 10-26-2022, A 55.2 Taskforce long bed now the work begins
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
the best place would be "HANDY" I keep one in the little "pocket" hole area behind/beside the seat. The dry chemical ABC is actually the one you would want to use, they provide at least some reflash protection, whereas the inert gases provide none. For those to work properly the area should be pretty much sealed off to prevent air getting to the fire. Co2 is mostly for electrical fires, and even then doesn't do much until you remove the source of the electrical problem. At which point it becomes a class A fire. I will have to agree the powder makes a mess, but fire doesn't do that much good either. The probably best would be one Co2, and one foam, but if I had to choose one, I would go with an ABC type. I have seen this referred to in the context of car shows, and as long as it is neatly/professionally done, there were to be no points lost. The judges aren't complete idiots.

Last edited by brokenhead; 01/22/2014 1:12 PM.
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,256
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,256
How 'bout Purple K?

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 698
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 698
I keep mine under the seat on the '65 and '66 and behind the seat, passenger side on the '59 and '53. At shows they come out and are placed in front of the truck to "hold down" the placard describing the truck - in plain sight. My real reason for placing them in front of the truck is if the clown next to me / by me, hasn't spent the time and money making his ride safe, and it should catch fire someone could put it out before it damages mine.

C'mon we've all been to shows and had to park next questionable works in progress entries........


ohwell


My Fleet:
1941
1953
1959
1965
1966
1953 Willy's Pickup

John

Vegetarian- old Indian word for bad hunter
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 240
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 240
Interesting reading everyone's thoughts on this.

I'm planning on adding one to my '47 3100. It has a 3-on-the-floor transmission and a parking brake lever so the middle seat area is a bit crowded. The truck is getting a fresh air heater, so the right side kick panel will be crowded as well. I was considering getting an auto bracket and mounting the extinguisher horizontally along the floor attached to the seat box (laying across the cab, not front to rear).

As an alternate, I was thinking about using rare earth magnets to hold it in place, the thoughts being:
1) Sufficient holding force for "Stovebolt Driving", and
2) Easily removable w/o leaving a trace

I'd appreciate feedback on those ideas - many minds are better than one.

Thanks,

Bill


1947 3100 Advanced Design

Never, never, never, never give up. - Churchill
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
Magnets would worry me for the extinguishers are not light.


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0