The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (JW51, Bill Hanlon), 143 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,095
Posts1,056,468
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 46
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 46
I am looking at installing the new 3.55 ring and pinion in my 46 1/2 ton for easier crusing. I see the master rebuild kit with bearings ect is as much as the new ring and pinion. Do you really need to replace all of those parts if the rear end is quiet and in good overall shape?
Any suggestions on where to go in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area to get this done?
Thanks! Phil

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
I did mine myself. It's not hard but can take lot's of time. You would want to replace the bearing on the pinion and I would do the torque tube "Oake?" bushing too. The rest can be done anytime. It takes an arbor press. Lots of put together and take out setting the shims. You need a dial indicator micrometer.

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,418
ODSS Lawman
ODSS Lawman
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,418
Simply put, yes.

Now you could re use your 60+ old bearings only to tear the whole thing down later and do it again.

Do it right the first time and never think about it again.


SWEET
Sergeant At Arms: Old Dominion Stovebolt Society
BUNS?!?!?!Where we're going, we don't need no buns.....
1950 GMC 450
1951 Chevy 1/2-Ton
The GreenMachine
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
I agree with SWEET. I thought my suburban's rear end was quiet but I chose to use the installation kit. I am glad I did - I noticed the noise-difference. People who own/drive/ridden-in old trucks have often said "oh, this must be what it was like driving in one of these trucks when it was new".

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,248
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,248
Any cheaper to source the bearings out loose?? John

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
The installation kit is not just bearings, John.

Here is a thread with a list of installation parts but part numbers for all parts in Patrick's installation kits are not listed.

Supposedly, Jim Carter sells an installation kit that he puts together to sell with the 3.55 R&P set. No one has posted what is included in that kit, the brands of the parts, and the part numbers.


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0