Steve -

Yes, 5/8" is the id size of the hoses, but my 5/8" hose was larger. You can easily tell by poking your finger in the hose, then into a confirmed 5/8" hose. Easy to tell the difference between a good one and a bad one.

You can drain enough water from the radiator to drop the level below the fittings on the water pump. Then not much will be lost when you remove the hoses. Either pour the radiator water back in after you fix the problem or add new water and antifreeze to restore the level. You will lose the water from the heater core and from the heater hoses.

Might as well flush the system and add new antifreeze/water when the job is completed and tested to do it right.

- Lonnie


- Lonnie
My '54 3104
Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post.
lonniecook [at] aol [dot] com. I sold my '54 3104 12/12/2017, but I still visit Stovebolt.

OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all