Tony,
I can agree with you "Proving it was purchased, that way, is entirely a different story."
Although with technology there is not much that can't be forged, especially when big money is involved so proof is not always proof. I think the next best thing is a scientific approach. Inspecting my truck, there seems to be no changes that are not original to a 1963 besides a paint job. I have a title from 1975 with 46,980 miles on it. The next from 1998 with 47,216 miles. Next one from 2003 with 47,885. Then mine with 48,100.
It is possible that 101,005 miles were put on the truck between 1975 and 1998 and the motor changed in that time.
The majority of trucks like this one were bought for farm work which seems to go along with 46,980 for it's first 12 years. It is unlikely a truck geared so low could have had 146,980 put on it from 1963-1975.
The 261 engine in it just had the water pump changed and it was an original GM, painted Jobmaster green.
I think Bartamos makes some good points about coincidence of the engine but also the relatively unaffected value. Has little to do with monetary worth to me. Just neat to know it might be relatively unchanged from birth.
Mike
Last edited by 63k10; 10/01/2013 9:07 AM.