Hi All ..I need advice.. I bought a 53 3600 in Jan and drove it every weekend until two weeks ago.. ran great except burned a lot of oil but no smoke... started knocking light sounds at first and only when under gas but now it is knocking when idle so I parked it ... I took to my mechanic and he pulled each plug to listen and said that he would need to take engine apart to find out how minor/major it is .. In meantime I found another complete 216 incl radiator and other parts for $250 (local) and purchased it - actually found and purchased two engines(one 49 and one 52) .. we bench tested the 49 and it started right up and purrs BUT it smokes a LOT (maybe needs a ring job ? is that major?) .. so we are planning to swap parts and bench test the 52 ... hopefully we can swap engines if it is good. Frustrated ... some have even said just run the truck with the knock ... it will probably go for a long time ..It still has good oil pressure and runs fine - except for the soft knock (not loud) ... any advice? Any way to determine if it is something minor without taking the engine apart?


GAL who loves Stovebolts

1953 Chevy 3600
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix in Photobucket