Okay,

You know how hard it is to get all the little lights and plugs and speedo cable and oil pressure line and wires fitted to the back of your cluster, with only 1/2 inch of space to work with?

Third time for me chasing the same issue; A temp gauge that just sits on zero and stares at me.

I have replaced the gauge twice with other used ones (yes, I know that doesn't mean they work either, in spite of what the previous owner says). I have 12 volts at the terminal that goes to the ignition switch (the "C" side), and continuity between the "H" side and the end of the sender wire that connects to the sender.

At this point, I would suspect a bad sending unit, but here on the site, folks say that you should be able to get the needle to move if you ground the sending wire with the ignition on. Mine does not do that. Just sits there and does nothing. All the other gauges work.

I warmed the truck up for 40 minutes today to test the unit. Nada.

What am I doing wrong? I am tired of the four-hour process of removing the cluster, breaking the stupid cheap bulb housings that come on the wiring kits these days, and skinning my hands on the dash sheet metal.

Help is appreciated.

-Jim


1957 Chevrolet 3100 Stepside
235, 3-speed w/OD
In the Stovebolt Gallery