John, if your tearing the whole thing down, I would go ahead and just rebuild the entire assembly. Those bearings have been driving that rear end for 60+ years now. Why not go ahead and replace them while it's apart?

Also, if you get it all torn apart and get it degreased completely, you may be able to take it into a carwash and use the high pressure heated water for a final clean. Depends on the carwash/EPA, but when I rebuilt my '53 rear end, the pinion bearing had about 3 or 4 ball bearings left in it. The rest was metal paste smeared everywhere.

I scrubbed and degreased it so that eventually the water was free of oil residue than brought it to the carwash. I drove it around town for short trips, changing the oil every 2 weeks or so and stuck a huge magnet to the bottom of the axle housing. Rub the oil through your fingers when changing it and look for any silvery specks. When it's clean, your done!

Jeff


My 1953 Chevrolet
1947.1 Gallery
1972 C-10 1/2 Ton & 1972 C-30 1 Ton