Fred,
When I connect the positive and negative clamps to the pins that you stated there is no constant buzz. There is a very very brief vibration right when I touch the contact and then again right when I remove the contact but it is not continuous.
I went ahead and opened the can and as you probably already know it is in fact a mechanical type.
It is pretty neat looking.
EDIT:
After taking it apart and manually moving the lever back and forth a few times it seems to pass both of the tests that you mentioned. It vibrates when power is applied as you described and when I jump the two small pins the frequency becomes very slow.
Everything looked clean and undamaged/unburnt inside so I went ahead and put it back together and tried it in the chassis again. I put in all of the tubes and the vibrator and then powered it. I could hear the vibrator buzzing pretty loudly. There was no sound output from the speaker.Side question: Did I hook the speakers up correctly?
I then measured the K post of the OZ4 tube and the DC voltage was about 8 volts DC. I measured the P post to P post voltage and it was 570 Volts AC (with the vibrator and the OZ4 Tube installed). When I removed the OZ4 tube and repowered the radio the vibrator would not work and the P-P post voltage was about 0 volts AC. Should the vibrator work with the OZ4 tube removed? It does not seem to in my radio.
Last edited by 1866yellowboy; 03/24/2013 10:30 PM.