So, as Denny has stated, in the end you will want to have a solid state vibtator. However, when I rebuild a radio, I always use a mechanical unit for initial tests. If you initially happen to have a short that affects the vibrator, the solid state one will fail instantly whereas the mechanical one won't.

If you care to try and revive your old one, this is how to proceed: Undo the crimp at the bottom of the can and slide the can off the base. You can make a series of little cuts around the base and then just peel the crimp back. Now you will see a moving armature with a set of points on either side. The trick here is to try and clean between the points with paper first, then maybe sandpaper or a fine file. You don't want to bend them and mess up the alignment if possible. You can then try the test again with the cover off.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!