Thanks for the Accessory Manual link and pictures, Bill! I've been wanting to see the Assesory Manual. I'd like to find a pdf download of it to keep on my PC with the other manuals I have. It appears though, the Manual has a different style mechanism than you and I have. Ours is the same as that linked assembly picture in my first post.
I've noticed in your picture, your cancelling plate edges also registering on the roller bushings! I think that discovery will really help me. I'm just glad I didn't break that cast metal cancelling ring by tightening down the shoulder screw too much! I realized I had a problem and backed off!
Great that you remember the thin strip! I didn't mention, it also has a notch on each end... I'm not sure of to clear screws or to help lock into a position somewhere.
Like you, it being thin might lead to think it has a spring or retainer type function.
I didn't help that I also placed my column shift assembly parts in the same baggie... I somehow don't think this strip is affiliated with that but I've been wrong before!
Jerry


1959 Chevy Apache 3200 Stepside
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Restoration Journal on Facebook

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul." ~ George Bernard Shaw