I have a hollander for the Eaton rearends, copyright 1974. The first two numbers give the capacity, in your case 17 equals 18,000 lb early or 18,500lb late. The 3rd and 4th number is the design type. The 5th number is the brake type, yours should be air brake equipped if I understand the book correctly. It lists the 17201 and 17221 as the conical(smooth, not ribbed) carrier. Has lots of gears available, ranging from 3.70/5.05 to 7.60/10.36. I have all the part numbers here and gear codes if you can get them from the pinion. Let me know if I can help answer any questions. The book does not give dimensions, however.
OK, but why does "17" = 18,000 Lbs? and by early/late what do you mean? I thought all the 17 series were early.
And do the 17201 and the 221 have the same weight/torque ratings? Just different brakes?
I have the 4.11/5.63 ratio with hydraulic disk brakes. Brakes were most certainly a change out. I have no idea what was on it originally.