MFW, Welcome to the Stovebolt Page. First congrats on being a teacher and second for saving a piece of history and particularly a piece of family history.

Since this is the welcome Centre your questions will be better answered in the other forums. Just post in the most appropiate ones related to your question. You'll get lots of responses and answers.
The short answer is usually to get it to run and stop. If possible then drive it while "it" tells you what it needs and you decide what you REALLY want to do with it. Original, or with some modifications.
Buy you an assembly, and a shop manual. They are also available on line just check out the links here. No stupid questions here and we are here to help and I'm sure you'll find some bolters who live close by....just keep watch.

My neighbor is building a 50 GMC also but not a 5 window. He had no motor/tranny so he is going small block chevy but keeping it "original looking". Good luck and how about a pic when you can.

what part of Michigan you in? I was military in the U.P.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile