Hey, folks, thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll try to answer the questions: I cleaned spark plugs thoroughly, they're sparkling (remember, I'm getting spark to each). Not to say I won't get/try new ones.
Regarding compressor, the air conditioning system is disconnected. In fact, I've disconnected everything (I'm re-wiring the truck in addition to all of this)...the only wiring is this: wire from alternator to ammmeter, power to switch, wire from switch to + side of coil. And, of course, all of the high tension distributor wires connected, in addition to wire from points to negative side of coil.
Regarding ballast resistor, I'm using one of their coils that INCLUDE a ballast resistor.
As well, there's the ground wire from distributor case to engine. This is the wire in question...because I've had Pertronix so long (and their insturctions have that wire), I can't remember if it's required with points set-up. And with that wire there, the Pertronix has worked perfectly for years.