Been away for a while but thanks all for the input.
Truckernix (nice album)if you have the service sheet please tell me where to look for cracks and how to reinforce, thanks.
Huck if you think your rear axle bumper looks like it I'm going to look up the part number to see if it is available or maybe an image of it, thanks.
Brad (also nice album) I agree I may not need to do the swap to the later mounts BUT I do have access now with the cab off and all. It looks so easy. I'm so tempted. I think I should keep checking into this, it's only four holes! and the 1 ton mounts are still available? thanks for the picture and your input.
Jim D
Note: before I checked Stovebolt, I was thinking of how I could stack old tire treads and hold them in place in lieu of the bumpers. Or how feasible it was to swap to newer mounts.


pictures below
https://picasaweb.google.com/111413431667404132006
Jim D - '48 GMC 1ton pickup