I did find a 292 pretty cheap but I have a feeling it needs to be rebuilt. It's already pulled and been sitting in a shed for a couple of years so I'm taking the owner's word that it's a good engine. I'll probably look at it as a long term project to overhaul for future use. Both the 283 and 400 can be used with just a little clean up and orange paint. I don't think any of these 3 choices will run very far on a gallon of gas so that's not a factor. I'm leaning toward the 400 because it has the AC compressor and power steering pump with it. I've learned from experience that I'll drive a truck more often if it at least has air conditioning. There doesn't seem to be a commonly used method for adding power steering to these 3800's so I'll have to do more research on that part. It's fun to plan for this stuff even if I don't have time right now to work on it. Thanks for all the advice.

Jeff


'64 swb stepside (gone)
'57 1 ton
'53 phone truck
'59 swb
'46 1 1/2 ton
'68 swb gmc