I still might get the 292 but I went to look at the 400 sbc last night and ended up buying it for $400. It ran good with no noises or smoke. I was influenced a little by the fact that the guy selling it seemed like a nice kid and he's in a bit of a financial bind. I'll take a look at putting the 5 speed in when I have the truck disassembled. If it fits in ok I'll give it a try. I've got 4.10 rear gears now which are hard to find. Don't think I can go any higher without changing the rear axle. There were supposedly some 3.90's made but I've only heard of one person who had them in a junkyard and he wouldn't sell. All this planning makes me wish I had time to work on it. But it's 104 outside today so I'll probably wait 'til fall.