The main advantage the 283 has for me is that I already own it. I also have the '58 Viking it came out of so I've got the bell housing, larger radiator, and fan shroud. I even have the 5 sp tranny if I want to go that route. The 292 I can get by buying the truck with a bad tranny for $600 and the 400 sbc can be bought for $450 or less and I can hear it run before it's removed from the truck. I would also have to come up with a flywheel for either the 292 or 400 since they're both in auto trucks. I would like to have the 292 and 400 for future use but I don't know if I want to lay out the $$ right now when I already have a good engine sitting in my shop. I need more time and more trucks to be truly happy.