I replaced my wiring harness (Classic Parts 'original' type loom) two weeks ago. All seemed well, but I added an inline fuse or two because it just feels wrong not to have something protecting the wiring. Probably should have gone with Painless, but I was literally looking for 'plug-and-play.' The harness itself was good, but I really disliked the plastic instrument panel lite sockets. They were hard to snap in and the one for the left turn indicator broke two of the flimsy tabs that hold it in place with "spring" pressure. I replaced it with one of my old metal ones from the old harness.

But that's not what I wanted to ask about...

Since replacing the harness, my fuel gauge has started acting up. It now only displays a reading when the truck is started and running. Not when the key is turned to the 'on' position, as it used to before. Funny thing is, I would have sworn it worked as before for a day or two after I changed the harness.

At any rate, does someone have a test procedure I can run on the wires to determine if something is wrong, or have I somehow connected it wrong? I followed the numbered wiring connections exactly.

While we're at it, just before I changed out the loom, the temp gauge stopped working. Abruptly. I have tried grounding the sending unit wire with the key on and it does not move. Wires are connected correctly.

Anyone have a test procedure for these two gauges?

Thanks in advance,

Jim


1957 Chevrolet 3100 Stepside
235, 3-speed w/OD
In the Stovebolt Gallery