Originally Posted by tclederman
Tim,

I have never seen the fender trims listed as an option (nor shown in a GM photo or illustration) for a Suburban. In some years, 1947-1951, the Truck Data Books even states it explicitly: "(Not available on Canopy Express models or Carryall Suburbans)".

I think the option might not have been available in 52-53 (minimal brightwork those year and no RPO-390 De Luxe Equipment was available). In 1954/55, it is not so clear - the trim pieces do not seem to be specifically mentioned in the TBD. However, the Engineering Features manual states and shows it being available only on Panel trucks.

Since just about anything might have been special ordered, I would guess that someone might have been able to special order the fender trims for a Carryall Suburban or Canopy Express.

As far as I've been able to tell, the fender brightwork never came back after the Korean War chrome/stainless shortages. The 54/55.1 DeLuxe panels only had the stainless windshield, side door and rear door window trim, along with the standard DeLuxe items available on all models. I've seen some of those advertising drawings of '54s with the trim, but I've never seen a photo of an original truck with it installed.

Last edited by GMCpanel; 03/10/2012 2:39 AM.

Get a REAL truck, get a GMC! www.oldgmctrucks.com
1954 GMC De Luxe COE