Hey, are your spears on the tops of the fenders?! Let's see some pictures please!
When I got my trim, the old timer told me how the spears were on the tops of the fenders. Now, all the spears you see these days, are on the sides. I suppose Tim or someone might have the installation sheets. I don't know if the trim was a dealer installed option, or if they were installed at the factory, or both.
My spears have a full length insert in the bottom, with threaded studs that poke through the finder, and then are bolted on the inside.
The "swooshes" have a lip on the fender side. Mine don't have the clips with them, but from the other trim I've seen, I assume they would have had about 4 inserts, with either spring clips that poke through, or studs. When I put mine on, I'll be using the multi fit oblong studded clips, like Mac's antique auto parts sell. I think they are about a buck a piece, and are much easier to deal with than those darn spring clips.
No matter how your trim is held in place, you'll need to clean off the inside of the fender to see how to get it off.
Hope this helps.