Adam
Although I have a '48 I was in the same boat as you. We got the original 216 running after sitting for 38 years, and it ran really good. Drove it all summer, to several shows 1-3 hours away. I restore vintage campers and even towed a small one several times with the 216. It just did not have the backbone to tow with. But by itself it did ok, but it also was a babbit motor, and I just knew it eventually would fail and my initial re-build quotes were quite high. A friend had a rebuilt 283 and gave me a great price and it now rests in the truck. Originally I did not want a SBC, or at least a 350, since it seems it is almost what everyone does, but it sure gonna pull my campers better. Just my 2 cents! Oh yea...have a T5 behind it also!
Last edited by bowtiefan; 01/03/2012 11:08 AM.