Short of lifting the rears and counting revolutions, I really couldn't tell you what the ratios are. I really would like to find out though. I think I'll do that soon... the more information I have to make a decision, the better.
It would be interesting to know if like you said, 2'nd, 3'rd and 4'th of the SM420 are like the 3 gears of the 318.
I kinda like the granny gear too. It reminds me of hay hauling days when all we had to do was keep the truck steering straight.
This must be what Bill was referring to concerning pulling stumps or climbing walls! It may also be a good gear for a parade.
What about the driveshaft? My Assembly manual illustrates the female spline should be on the driveshaft tube with a collar and seal. Maybe the one I have was modified backwards. I would think it would have the same effect... except it doesn't have a seal.
Jerry


1959 Chevy Apache 3200 Stepside
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Restoration Journal on Facebook

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul." ~ George Bernard Shaw