Now come on, be honest, if you drive your 216 on a regular basis, I mean like 100 plus
miles a week, you gotta admit, you got wet gaskets behind the tin right??? If not and
you’ve got dry gaskets then your either out of oil or,,,,,,you know some deep dark secret
unknown to most of us guys, us guys being the vast majority of us still running a 216. So
if you’re not one of the Wet Ones, share your secret with us will ya huh, please!!!!
My tin covers have been meticulously straighten to the point of checking them on a
granite surface plate, the mating surfaces are meticulously clean, torque on the screws and
nuts are within specs, not to loose and not so tight as to warp the covers.
My cork Rocker Cover is constantly wet and the ‘Best’ brand thick fiber side cover gasket
seems to always be weeping from one wipe down to another. If I go out for a 100mile run
there is always oil that runs down the back of the block and bell housing, behind the tin
flywheel inspection covers on the bottom and blows back onto the cross member and
transmission. I can wipe her all down and take her out for some exercise and when I come
back, same thing, oil film around the top and side cover gaskets.
No, it’s not the rear seal, it’s dry as a bone up in there and it’s not the pan, it’s dry as a
bone down there also.
I thought it might be oil leaking past the star washers on the side cover but have resealed
the screws and screw holes with Permatex #2 and the rocker cover is down tight all
around and seated right under the lips and ends of the tin.
Those of you that have read some of my short stories know that I’m not one that expects a
totally dry Stovebolt. Fact is, I’ve been driving cars and trucks with these Stovebolts in
them since the late 50’s and a few drop once in awhile is to be expected.
It’s almost like they are doing something different with the gaskets and they just won’t
hold the earl back now days.
Back in the day we didn’t have silicone sealers (which I absolutely refuse to use on these
engines) just a little Permatex used sparingly seemed to guarantee a good seal and
relatively dry engine.
DG
Last edited by Denny Graham; 11/01/2011 3:38 PM.