Okee Dokee! Well, I went out and did a wet compression test. I got about 35# or so dry and about double that with a squirt or two of oil. I moved the fan with the valve cover off and saw that all the pushrods seemed to be moving well and was able to twirl each one by hand. I guess I'm going to be looking at a rebuild, yes?
I'll be ordering a shop manual and assy manual next week, but in the meantime, I've heard I have to remove (practically) the entire front end to yank the motor-is this true?
Be prepared for lots more questions, OK? I appreciate the help so far...
For info, I'll have to do this rebuild quickly (though it won't be a "rush" job) since I'm giving this truck to my dad (he's 76 and I WON'T give it to him if it's undependable) when he comes to visit the first or second week of August. Oh Boy! I can feel the stress now! WooHoo!
Any help will be appreciated... Thanx again, Chris