Thanks for the info, guys. I can build and diagnose a small block chevy, but this straight 216 (waddya mean, no pressurized oil pump and what are these things you call "babbit" bearings???

) totally throws me for a loop.
I'll try to track it down, starting with pumping oil into the cylinders and retaking the test. I already bought a carb rebuild kit and I did note what seemed to be an awful lot of gas at the bottom of the intake. As far as checking the valve lash, I'll have to learn that.
So that I can get more input, please check for my question in the general truck talk regarding looking for the best book to pull out the 216 and rebuild it. When I was a kid, I used the Chilton Motor Manuals, but haven't seen those around for years. I guess I'll be looking for the "Step by Step for the complete idiot" guide... Thanks again, and I'll keep you posted on what I find this weekend...
