That's always an interesting question. On the stovebolt we reside from all over the world, particularly from the USA, but we have lot's of folks from Canada and elsewhere too. Primarily we choose 1/2 ton pickup trucks, mostly for light hauling. Some of us choose Suburbans or panels for light hauling and the ability to haul extra people or family. Some use their vehicles for weekend pleasure and some a little bit more. The year of the vehicles varies by choice, by chance or because it evokes memories.
I chose the
1947-1955 Suburban. I like the
GMC version because it is a little different than the Chevrolets. I like a vehicle that is more stock than modified, something that has been upgraded for safety and comfort. But that isn't to say that I don't like the other models or styles either. I do like the suburbans from
1936 -
1959 and I am beginning to like the
1960 - 1966 Suburbans too.
Earlier than 1947 is a little too small for me, but they are good looking trucks. The
1947-1955 had a little more room and the parts availability is phenomenal, you can buy complete cabs. These trucks are easy to work on and easy to modify too. The
Task Force years are bigger yet and offer a more modern look, they were also available with V-8'S They are my next choice of trucks, although I would probably go with a suburban again. Parts are easily available for these trucks and they are easy to work on too.
If you are looking for ideas on what to purchase, I advise you to look at the gallery and see the many styles and choices of others. Some have great stories on why they have what they have and what it took to get it to where it is today. Many of these guys did not have a truck before, but now associate themselves as truck enthusiasts. If this is going to be your first American truck, I recommend that you stay with a 1/2 ton version because the availability of parts are greater than those for 3/4 ton and larger. You will also find more information on building the 1/2 ton too. That's not to say that the 3/4 ton and larger are not desirable and really difficult to work on, it's just that in England they would add to your difficulties in finding parts and information.