Mark, Pictures can hide things sometimes that will look different in actuality but the overheating sign I think I see in pic #28 is found between 3 & 4, where the oil appears burned off the crank counterweight.Also there looks like metal buildup on #3 journal.
Pic #14 shows the affected rod shells very thinned with a fin of displaced metal appearing on 1 half(probably both).
Pic #18 shows the rod/piston assemblys, and I think #3 pictured in the #2 position-no shells in #2 & #3 and the #2 looks rougher like we see in the last stages before the rod leaves the engines.Probably the 2 thinner,rougher shells had climbed atop each other and the knocking was diminished for a little while.
All this is characteristic of a "spun bearing" where the soft metal went away and the steel backing wore until the locking tang and crush couldn't prevent the shells from spinning in the rod-cutting off futhur the oil supply-welding to the crank or rod before the red hot big end gave up and the remains exited the block.
From the localized heat at the rod and crank, they may lose or pickup metal from the process and may have changes in metallurgy affecting hardness and strength.But for sure the things critical to plain (plane) bearing life, fit and finish, is gone.
I hope I read all pictures wrong and the crank is perfect or repairable.


Bob Taylor