...... I've been around the block quite a few times in my life to,Bill

I do agree with what your saying. I also look at what years and years of dealing with suff/folks/experience tell me.
I have also been very involved over the years with companies becoming ISO certified and that is all about "standards". Time or space will not permit me to go into it but "standards" are so misleading today it's pitiful. Standards are what the up stream customer determines it to be and if a company(manufacturer) can squeeze one iota of chemical out of a piece of rubber or can of paint ect, and it still meet the customers standard they do it...(been there and done it) and the upstream customer (steele/Deenis) never knows because it still meets their "standard" but how many are on the low, or high side of the "go" or "no go".
Now,when any change is made, IS IT STILL THE SAME PRODUCT.
It'd interesting to see some spec sheets for THEIR product and also some test analysis data,if any is kept,to see how close, or far away, they really are from "standard".
Been to Steele & Dennis' place quite a few times myself and worked on many Fords ( last year the '50 got quite a few parts from Dennis).
Is the manufactured stuff they get still the same standard today or is it the "same product" we got from them 10 years ago?
The "bell shaped curve on quality can be "all over the board" and still meet their standard. Wonder if they ever heard of process control, process capability, a design of experiment blah blah blah and the list goes on to be or remain to be number 1.
The only way you really know is using items for the same purpose from 2 different suppliers. Then you know. Not many people will use that same item over again in their life time so I do agree with "piece of mind is priceless" and as always "if it makes you happy drink whatever brand you like".
I still regard Steele as a very good supplier of aftermarket stuff. I guess I step out of my optimist personality to a pessimist sometimes and look at things a little different. Folks use to say I"d put rocket fuel on a fire. I just like to see the "other side" sometime. Might be surprised at the results.
As always, I enjoy your comments Bill and I'm sure its all educational in some way. Thanks for you view of things as well.
I think my history teacher said it best back in the early 60's. Be well informed before making ANY decision. Explore all options.