My tank is junk so I have a 5 gallon can on the floor in front of the passenger side. It works great as long as there is gas and you don't forget that we pull the hose out each time we leave it sit because it tends to siphon out through the leaky fuel pump...It cost me almost $20 to kill that spot of grass!
Done that. The original tank was swiss cheese and I had to drive it 40 miles home. New gas tank from Classic Parts was worth every penny!
My moment in stupidity: I know that heat from welding distorts metal. I've done it several time and I just never seem to remember to properly brace or tack things together. So I get ~$200 in structural channel iron for the rails on a new dump bed and start welding 3/8" flat bar to the bottom of the channel iron. I needed spacers there to clear the rivets on the frame, you see. ...I didn't put in the cross members between the rails however, or really anything to hold them straight and square. I ended up with some badly curved and twisted 8' long chunks of steel!
Well, I finally learned my lesson (after it cost me ~$200 in materials) and actually took the time to mock/tack up the dump bed frame after that.