Here is my final report on the project to raise the driver side of my 1953 3600 was a total success. Here is what happened:

I went to the machine shop and got them to cut several pieces of 2 inch mild steel stock. One piece was 2" x 5" x 1/4", the other two were 2" x 5" x 1/2". I figured that way, I could fit up any thinkness from 1/4" to 1 1/4. Total outlay $4.

Next, I drilled a 1/2" hole right in the center of one of the 1/2 thick pieces. It was clear I would need at least that much. Then I loosened the 4 nuts on the u-bolts, and then jacked the truck. I used wooden blocks, and the jacking point was the bottom spring leaf, right next to the axle, where I could still swing a rachet (the nuts are 15/16, by the way). When I had the truck body high enough, I slipped in the spacer and let the jack down. The locating stud went right down into the hole I drilled, and that thing is NOT going anywhere.

Then I got my steel tape, and it was not quite level yet, so I placed the 1/4 piece in under the 1/2" piece. No drilling. Let the truck down, and tightened all 4 nuts. Perfectly level now. If anyone needs more info let me know. I don't have any pix right now, but you probably would not need them.

Harry