Stuart;
A bit more information. The tranny has an unsynchro first. I also agree that the disc should be moving further away from the plate when the pedal is fully depressed. Here's what else I've checked. Put the tranny in third gear, depressed the clutch and started the truck. Immediately the speedo went to 20 mph with the pedal down. Let out the pedal, same speed. Pushed the pedal in and out several times and no speed change. Also put the tranny in neutral and used a board in the cab to depress the clutch pedal fully. Should have been able to rotate the disc right? Can't do it. So obviously, the clutch is the culprit. Now, the clutch is an 11" 6 bolt unit with raised springs on the plate. I got it from Carter along with the disc and throwout bearing. In looking at some of the other vendors, some show two different bearings where Carter shows only one. The two are differentiated by being for "flat diaphragm plate and raised diaphgram plate". I'm wondering if I've gotten the wrong throwout bearing. If I increase the pedal free play just an 1/8 inch to get the bearing from not touching the splines, then that will make the distance that the pedal has to travel to fully depress the splines even further and negate any release of the disc from the plate. Are there indeed two different bearings and is one longer than the other?


Country Roads, West (By God) Virginia
http://community.webshots.com/user/geezer